Jun 20, 2010, 7:03 PM EDT
Blue Jays third baseman Edwin Encarnacion went hitless in four at-bats and made a throwing error during Sunday’s 9-6 loss to the Giants. After the game, he was optioned to Triple-A Las Vegas, according to Richard Griffin of the Toronto Star.
The move, of course, had little to do with his performance Sunday. He has struggled mightily since the start of June and the Jays have watched his batting line plummet from .254/.329/.678 (on May 26) to .200/.298/.467 as of Sunday evening. That’s an OPS drop of nearly 250 points.
told him this wasn’t permanent,” Toronto GM Alex Anthopoulos said. “If he goes down
there, plays well, starts to get his swing going a little bit, he
should be able to find his way back here. We explained to him Jose
Bautista went through the same thing with the Pirates when we acquired
Jarrett Hoffpauir has been recalled from Las Vegas in a corresponding move and is expected to start at third base until Encarnacion regains his confidence. The 27-year-old Hoffpauir has hit .332 with a 922 OPS, nine home runs and 43 RBI in 56 games this season at Triple-A.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 0
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 0
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 127
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (129)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)