Jun 20, 2010, 7:03 PM EST
Blue Jays third baseman Edwin Encarnacion went hitless in four at-bats and made a throwing error during Sunday’s 9-6 loss to the Giants. After the game, he was optioned to Triple-A Las Vegas, according to Richard Griffin of the Toronto Star.
The move, of course, had little to do with his performance Sunday. He has struggled mightily since the start of June and the Jays have watched his batting line plummet from .254/.329/.678 (on May 26) to .200/.298/.467 as of Sunday evening. That’s an OPS drop of nearly 250 points.
told him this wasn’t permanent,” Toronto GM Alex Anthopoulos said. “If he goes down
there, plays well, starts to get his swing going a little bit, he
should be able to find his way back here. We explained to him Jose
Bautista went through the same thing with the Pirates when we acquired
Jarrett Hoffpauir has been recalled from Las Vegas in a corresponding move and is expected to start at third base until Encarnacion regains his confidence. The 27-year-old Hoffpauir has hit .332 with a 922 OPS, nine home runs and 43 RBI in 56 games this season at Triple-A.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 69
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 23
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)