Jun 20, 2010, 7:03 PM EDT
Blue Jays third baseman Edwin Encarnacion went hitless in four at-bats and made a throwing error during Sunday’s 9-6 loss to the Giants. After the game, he was optioned to Triple-A Las Vegas, according to Richard Griffin of the Toronto Star.
The move, of course, had little to do with his performance Sunday. He has struggled mightily since the start of June and the Jays have watched his batting line plummet from .254/.329/.678 (on May 26) to .200/.298/.467 as of Sunday evening. That’s an OPS drop of nearly 250 points.
told him this wasn’t permanent,” Toronto GM Alex Anthopoulos said. “If he goes down
there, plays well, starts to get his swing going a little bit, he
should be able to find his way back here. We explained to him Jose
Bautista went through the same thing with the Pirates when we acquired
Jarrett Hoffpauir has been recalled from Las Vegas in a corresponding move and is expected to start at third base until Encarnacion regains his confidence. The 27-year-old Hoffpauir has hit .332 with a 922 OPS, nine home runs and 43 RBI in 56 games this season at Triple-A.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 72
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)