Jun 20, 2010, 7:03 PM EDT
Blue Jays third baseman Edwin Encarnacion went hitless in four at-bats and made a throwing error during Sunday’s 9-6 loss to the Giants. After the game, he was optioned to Triple-A Las Vegas, according to Richard Griffin of the Toronto Star.
The move, of course, had little to do with his performance Sunday. He has struggled mightily since the start of June and the Jays have watched his batting line plummet from .254/.329/.678 (on May 26) to .200/.298/.467 as of Sunday evening. That’s an OPS drop of nearly 250 points.
told him this wasn’t permanent,” Toronto GM Alex Anthopoulos said. “If he goes down
there, plays well, starts to get his swing going a little bit, he
should be able to find his way back here. We explained to him Jose
Bautista went through the same thing with the Pirates when we acquired
Jarrett Hoffpauir has been recalled from Las Vegas in a corresponding move and is expected to start at third base until Encarnacion regains his confidence. The 27-year-old Hoffpauir has hit .332 with a 922 OPS, nine home runs and 43 RBI in 56 games this season at Triple-A.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)