Jun 20, 2010, 10:02 AM EDT
Cardinals closer Ryan Franklin told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s Joe Strauss on Saturday that he’s likely to hang up his cleats after the 2011 season.
It makes sense, really. Franklin signed a two-year, $6.5 million extension this offseason, so he won’t be skipping out on a contract. He will also be 38 at that point and has obviously been paying attention to Trevor Hoffman’s struggles with old age.
“I’ve talked to guys who have retired. And they say to play as long as
they let you,” Franklin told the Post-Dispatch. “But right now I just don’t see that for
me. If I have a good year next year, somebody is going to have to throw
some serious money at me to make me stick around for a one-year deal.”
Franklin is married with three kids and owns a large plot of hunting
land outside of Oklahoma City, where he makes his offseason home. He
hopes to further develop the nearly 700 acres once he retires.
For now, he’s getting the job done in St. Louis with the same impressive consistency that he showed over the first five months of the 2009 season. As of Sunday morning, he boasts a 2.40 ERA, a 0.93 WHIP and 13 saves in 14 chances. The Cardinals sit atop the National League Central standings with a 38-30 record.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)