Jun 20, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
Rangers outfielder Nelson Cruz has been on the 15-day disabled list since late May with a strained left hamstring. It’s actually his second DL stint of the season, and one that may be close to ending.
He began a rehab assignment this weekend and went 0-for-3 with a walk as the designated hitter for Triple-A Oklahoma City on Saturday night. On Sunday evening he will play the outfield, a major step toward an anticipated Tuesday return. Rangers manager Ron Washington has heard nothing but good things concerning his outfielder’s progress.
“Cruz is doing well,” Washington told MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan. “We haven’t heard
any complaints about anything. He’s running everything out and running
good in the outfield. He’s good. If he makes it through today, we’ll
have him back starting Tuesday.”
Cruz has killed the ball this season on the major league level, but has obviously struggled to stay healthy. He will return to a .327/.405/.729 batting line, 10 home runs, 43 RBI and seven stolen bases. The Rangers have rattled off seven straight wins and have won nine of their last 10. Having Cruz back in the lineup should only boost the club’s potential for wins.
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 48
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)