And That Happened: Sunday's Scores and Highlights

Jun 21, 2010, 5:36 AM EDT

CC Sabathia fattens up his stats against the Metropolitans. And if you think that's a cheap joke, wait until you see what I say about the Giants.

Yankees 4, Mets 0: Amazingly, the Yankees prove to be a tougher opponent for the Mets than the Orioles and Indians were. Sabtahia was tough and Teixeira’s grand slam took care of all of the day’s scoring.

Red Sox 2, Dodgers 0: It’s a close call given how well the Rangers are playing, but the Red Sox are probably the hottest team in baseball at the moment. Buchholz, Bard and Papelbon combine to shut out the Dodgers giving the Bosox the sweep. I’ll admit, though: I turned this one off fairly early. Two reasons: (1) I was really tired and the game’s slow pace was allowing me to dose; and (2) if I heard one more thing about Manny Ramirez — who was making his return to Boston, I’m told! — I was gonna barf. Really, folks, there was a baseball game happening. Concentrate on it and not the eight or ninth best player in that particular game please.

Braves 8, Royals 5: That’s five straight wins for Atlanta who — no
offense to the Royals — took advantage of the easier opposition this
weekend to put a bit of distance between themselves and the Mets and
Phillies. Lots of credit to Troy Glaus and Eric Hinske who are looking
like the best couple of bargain bin pickups this year.

White Sox 6, Nationals 3: The Sox have won six in a row, sit at .500 and are a relatively reasonable 5.5 games back of the Twins. The Nats are
skidding. I’m going to make it my mission this week to get people to
start calling it the Curse of Strasburg. Because really, they were doing
just fine before they called him up.

Twins 4, Phillies 1: This one sucked for Philly, but they were probably still reeling from Saturday night’s debacle in which they led 9-4
entering the ninth and ended up blowing it 13-10 in 11 innings. Halladay
on the mound yesterday, but Minnesota somehow knocked 11 hits off the
dude. The Phillies have lost six of Halladay’s last eight starts, by the way. I’m
going to make it my mission this week to get people to start calling
it the Curse of Halladay. Because really, they won two straight
pennants before they traded for him.

Brewers 6, Rockies 1: Huston Street comes back on Tuesday. That’s not soon enough for the Rockies, as Manny Corpas gives up five runs without retiring a batter in the ninth inning of a 1-1game. Corpas was beat up on Saturday too, by the way.

Marlins 4, Rays 1: Josh Johnson continues to be ridiculous (8 IP, 6 H, 1 ER 9K). Since returning from Tommy John surgery in July 2008, Johnson is 30-8
with a 2.95 ERA in 62 starts. The Rays drop two of three to the Feesh and are now out of first place.

Tigers 3, Diamondbacks 1: The Tigers take two of three from the Dbacks on reunion weekend, with Max Scherzer beating his old mates yesterday, Edwin Jackson beating his old pals on Saturday and Dontelle Willis getting the ND against his former compadres on Friday (but pitching poorly enough to lose). Of course for all we know Scherzer, Jackson and Willis hate their old teammates with an unholy passion, so saying they’re mates, pals and compadres may be totally presumptuous of me.

Giants 9, Blues Jays 6: Freddy Sanchez, Pat Burrell and Aubrey Huff all homered for the Giants, after which they went to a local cafeteria where they took advantage of the early bird special. Huff ate Burrell’s corn on the cob because it was tough and irritated Burrell’s partial. Sanchez fell asleep in his pudding. They then talked about their grandchildren for a while.

Mariners 1, Reds 0: The Reds scored one freakin’ run all weekend. Really: one run.  No shame in getting shut out by Cliff Lee, of course. And Felix Hernandez is tough so I understand that too. But the fact that they couldn’t scratch one across against Ryan Rowland-Smith is pretty sad.

Pirates 5, Indians 3: I know a guy who lives in Pittsburgh who took his kids to not one but two games in this series. Last I heard, Pennsylvania Children’s Services had a warrant out for his arrest and the neighbors were holding a candlelight vigil. Sir, I guess there’s just a meanness in this world.

Rangers 5, Astros 4: Josh Hamilton went 5 for 6, with the game-tying RBI in the ninth and the game-winning RBI in the 10th. He’s now hit in 16 straight games and the Rangers have won 11 of 12.

Athletics 3, Cardinals 2: A loss yesterday, but the Cardinals have to be happy that Matt Holliday is heating up. Two homers yesterday and 8 for 12 in the series with four homers and eight RBIs. Kevin Kouzamanoff was 4 for 4 for Oakland.

Cubs 12, Angels 1: Chicago loses 12-0 on Saturday and wins 12-1 on Sunday. Better than the offense for Chicago was Carlos Zambrano giving up one run in seven innings. Joe Saunders got shelled today, giving up nine hits and a couple of walks in 2.2 innings. His post-game quote: “the defense just wasn’t there for me today.” Whatever, dude.

Padres 9, Orioles 4: San Diego fell behind 4-0 in the top of the first and then scored nine unanswered runs. Baltimore hasn’t won consecutive games since May 12-14th. It’s gonna be a battle royale to figure out whether they or Houston will take the 30th slot in the Power Rankings.

Craig’s Father’s Day: Started out with a 28-mile bike ride through the country and ended with steak, some good wine and rhubarb pie. That’s definitely a win.

1. YankeesfanLen - Jun 21, 2010 at 8:10 AM

Since no one is participating this morning, I’ll start off with Len’s cockamamie power rankings:
    1. Yankees
    2. Braves
    3. Red Sox
    4. Tampa Bay
    5. Metropolitans
    6.-7 Twins Tigers
    8-29 Yada Yada Yada
    30. Orioles
    And yes, all the New York rags are getting ready for a Subway World Series. I’ll make it my mission this week to dispel such myths.
    Is Old Gator still practicing the Minuet in G on his vuvuzela?

2. Old Gator - Jun 21, 2010 at 8:53 AM

No, Old Gator has spent the past week in the blissful silence of the Jimez Valley in northern New Mexico listening only to the dulcet riffling of the trout streams, the sussurating breeze through the pinon pines and aspens, and the occasional howl of a coyote at night while reading the latest collection of Jim Harrison novellas in his cabin. No wi fi. No clock radio. No TV. No, repeat no, goddamned vuvuzelas. (I bet Scrooge McLoria bought them at Overstock.com anyway.) An occasional halfassed rendition of “Toss the Feather” on my pennywhistle is quite enough for me, thank you. And there was, surprise surprise, a Cowboy Junkies concert last night in Albuquerque which I somehow managed to stumble into on the way to my motel at the airport for my trip home this morning. Some serendipity, eh? Got my hug from Margo, and Vuvuzelas couldn’t have been further from my mind.
    Now I prepare to return to Macondo, a warped tropical reality matrix within which trout can be bought at Publix, the Feesh can beat the Rays four out of six, Josh Johnson is the only God, and two more middle relievers – Buente and Sosa – get sent down and out, apparently meant to follow the trail of the recently banished Renyel Pinto while it’s still fresh. Unfortunately, nature (with which I got back onto speaking terms this past week) abhors a vacuum – it told me so itself – and Scrooge and the Chihuahua doubtless have two more execrable cut-rate relievers to plug into the roster.
    Anyway, I’m tanned and rested and ready to resume my responsibilities to Craig and my legions of the bemused – tomorrow. No sense rushing it, especially with the Aureoles up next.

3. Jonny5 - Jun 21, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Curse of Halladay? And to think, all those years and he thought he played for a stinky team…. Now come to find out it was him all along…….

4. YX - Jun 21, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Texas Rangers 117°
    Boston Red Sox 114°
    Chicago White Sox 110°
    Atlanta Braves 110°
    Detroit Tigers 98°
    From Bill James Online
    So… Rangers are slightly hotter.

5. Jack Marshall - Jun 21, 2010 at 9:54 AM

That incessant Manny-chatter was further proof that nationally broadcast games are now pitched only to baseball-ignorant audiences who know zip about the game, the teams, and the history of the game. It makes televised games virtually unwatchable. Every game has to have a pre-agreed “story line,” and that’s its context—not the pennant race, not the real team issues. This game was, according to ESPN, about Manny Ramirez. It was crucial not to let him get to the plate as the tying run…that was all we heard. Disgusting, boring, and incompetent.

6. APBA Guy - Jun 21, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Welcome back Gator and Jack Marshall.
    But Craig, really, yesterday’s story line was all about The Stopper, Trevor Cahill. You see, evidently Ben Sheets likes the East Bay weather so much he’s willing to only throw his fast ball 87 mph so nobody will trade for him over the next 5 weeks, thus saving the A’s about $ 3.5M. So as he and the other A’s pitcher’s continue to cough it up, the White Rabbit continues to shine, tossing one mature for his age game after another. Maybe the Rabbit is doing it in tribute to his fallen comrade Bret Anderson who filled the role of Best Young Pitcher (cellar dweller division) last year. No matter. The A’s took one game from St. Louis when it appeared that there were none to be taken.
    None of this disguises the fact that the A’s summer swoon is upon us. Billy’s “traditional” formula for success had been 1) observe club for two months-identify needs 2) obtain needed parts before trade deadline 3) watch team win in August/September. That has now been modified of course: 1) watch soccer for two months on tv 2) watch World Cup and Premier League preseason on tv 3) take vacation last two months to see Premier League in person.
    Conor Jackson is not the answer.

7. Eric Cioe - Jun 21, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Farmer’s Daughter? What did you think? I’ve read most of Harrison’s prose and enjoy most of it, True North being a favorite.

8. Old Gator - Jun 21, 2010 at 1:25 PM

I am a hardcore Harrison junkie and have read all of his prose, including his wonderful culinary writings (if you haven’t got The Raw and the Cooked yet, run, don’t walk, to your Amazon.com link and order it).
    Yep, Farmer’s Daughter it is. I love it, as I was bound to cherish any resurrection of my beloved Brown Dog (and I’ve heard a rumor through a pal of Harrison’s that all of the Brown Dog stories may be collected into a single volume eventually).. In “Games of Night” he pretty much atones for the travesty (by his own admission) that was his screenplay for Wolf. I’ll say one thing: It’s a damned sight better than, and a major improvement over, The English Major, which showed too many signs of writer’s fatigue.
    The True North / Returning to Earth cycle is wonderful, but as far as his full length works go, I kinda prefer the Dalva / The Road Home dyad.
    The poetry’s brilliant too, by the way.
    Flight’s boarding, gotta run. At least half of my wants just to go back upcountry, but dark clouds of responsibility encroach. And I have a week of baseball to review and catch up on, since I was incommunicado while a shitload of things were happening.e

9. Tony A - Jun 21, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Anyone notice the strange scoring decision in the Phil’s game? Minn batter singled to center, Victorino picked up the ball and the fact that the batter had made a really wide turn at 1st. Threw behind the runner to Howard.
    The runner took off to 2nd, Howard made the throw to nail him, but hit him in the back, safe at 2nd, and, I kid you not, E8, for throwing behind the runner…am I crazy? What’s going on?

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS