Jun 21, 2010, 4:46 PM EDT
Yesterday the Blue Jays demoted Edwin Encarnacion to Triple-A after the 27-year-old third baseman had logged 2,314 plate appearances and six seasons in the majors, and this afternoon they designated him for assignment.
Encarnacion is now off the 40-man roster and Toronto has 10 days to trade, waive, or release him, but my guess is that the Blue Jays either already have a deal in place or are very confident about being able to move him by the end of the week. If not, there really wasn’t much reason to drop him from the 40-man roster given that he has a minor-league option remaining and can safely be stashed at Triple-A.
Toronto acquired Encarnacion from Cincinnati in last season’s deal for Scott Rolen, but injuries and mediocre hitting since the trade have no doubt lowered his value. He’s still just 27 years old, has plenty of power with 25 homers per 550 at-bats, and a .788 career OPS is solid for a third baseman, but the problem is that Encarnacion is a brutal defender there and that obviously became tough for the Blue Jays to live with as he fell into a 9-for-61 (.148) slump over the past month.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)