Jun 21, 2010, 4:46 PM EDT
Yesterday the Blue Jays demoted Edwin Encarnacion to Triple-A after the 27-year-old third baseman had logged 2,314 plate appearances and six seasons in the majors, and this afternoon they designated him for assignment.
Encarnacion is now off the 40-man roster and Toronto has 10 days to trade, waive, or release him, but my guess is that the Blue Jays either already have a deal in place or are very confident about being able to move him by the end of the week. If not, there really wasn’t much reason to drop him from the 40-man roster given that he has a minor-league option remaining and can safely be stashed at Triple-A.
Toronto acquired Encarnacion from Cincinnati in last season’s deal for Scott Rolen, but injuries and mediocre hitting since the trade have no doubt lowered his value. He’s still just 27 years old, has plenty of power with 25 homers per 550 at-bats, and a .788 career OPS is solid for a third baseman, but the problem is that Encarnacion is a brutal defender there and that obviously became tough for the Blue Jays to live with as he fell into a 9-for-61 (.148) slump over the past month.
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 50
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 101
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 74
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 73
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)