Jun 21, 2010, 4:46 PM EST
Yesterday the Blue Jays demoted Edwin Encarnacion to Triple-A after the 27-year-old third baseman had logged 2,314 plate appearances and six seasons in the majors, and this afternoon they designated him for assignment.
Encarnacion is now off the 40-man roster and Toronto has 10 days to trade, waive, or release him, but my guess is that the Blue Jays either already have a deal in place or are very confident about being able to move him by the end of the week. If not, there really wasn’t much reason to drop him from the 40-man roster given that he has a minor-league option remaining and can safely be stashed at Triple-A.
Toronto acquired Encarnacion from Cincinnati in last season’s deal for Scott Rolen, but injuries and mediocre hitting since the trade have no doubt lowered his value. He’s still just 27 years old, has plenty of power with 25 homers per 550 at-bats, and a .788 career OPS is solid for a third baseman, but the problem is that Encarnacion is a brutal defender there and that obviously became tough for the Blue Jays to live with as he fell into a 9-for-61 (.148) slump over the past month.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)