Jun 21, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT
Minnesota’s bullpen was gassed after Nick Blackburn and Kevin Slowey both failed to make it out of the second inning in their Friday and Saturday starts against the Phillies, so yesterday afternoon the Twins desperately needed a long outing and got it from either a likely or unlikely source depending on your point of view.
Carl Pavano tossed a 105-pitch complete game in Philadelphia, out-dueling Roy Halladay by allowing just one run on four hits and no walks. Pavano stepping up in a key spot to give the bullpen a much-needed break probably sounds absurd to the New Yorkers who watched him earn $40 million to make 26 starts for the Yankees, but Minnesotans have gotten to know a much different Pavano after the Twins acquired him in the middle of last season.
Pavano has gone 13-10 with a 4.08 ERA in 26 starts for the Twins, including 8-6 with a 3.64 ERA in 14 outings this year, and hasn’t missed a turn in the rotation since 2008. And not only has he been healthy and effective after four miserable years in New York, he’s proving to be a workhorse by going at least seven innings in 10 of his last 11 starts.
Since he debuted for the Twins on August 8 of last season, Felix Hernandez, Justin Verlander, CC Sabathia, and Zack Greinke are the only AL pitchers with more innings than Pavano at 170. And none of them can boast the same kind of dominant facial hair that Pavano has been sporting lately.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 12
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 21
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)