Jun 21, 2010, 2:47 PM EST
Minnesota’s bullpen was gassed after Nick Blackburn and Kevin Slowey both failed to make it out of the second inning in their Friday and Saturday starts against the Phillies, so yesterday afternoon the Twins desperately needed a long outing and got it from either a likely or unlikely source depending on your point of view.
Carl Pavano tossed a 105-pitch complete game in Philadelphia, out-dueling Roy Halladay by allowing just one run on four hits and no walks. Pavano stepping up in a key spot to give the bullpen a much-needed break probably sounds absurd to the New Yorkers who watched him earn $40 million to make 26 starts for the Yankees, but Minnesotans have gotten to know a much different Pavano after the Twins acquired him in the middle of last season.
Pavano has gone 13-10 with a 4.08 ERA in 26 starts for the Twins, including 8-6 with a 3.64 ERA in 14 outings this year, and hasn’t missed a turn in the rotation since 2008. And not only has he been healthy and effective after four miserable years in New York, he’s proving to be a workhorse by going at least seven innings in 10 of his last 11 starts.
Since he debuted for the Twins on August 8 of last season, Felix Hernandez, Justin Verlander, CC Sabathia, and Zack Greinke are the only AL pitchers with more innings than Pavano at 170. And none of them can boast the same kind of dominant facial hair that Pavano has been sporting lately.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)