Jun 21, 2010, 5:12 PM EDT
That incessant Manny-chatter was further proof that nationally broadcast
games are now pitched only to baseball-ignorant audiences who know zip
about the game, the teams, and the history of the game. It makes
televised games virtually unwatchable. Every game has to have a
pre-agreed “story line,” and that’s its context—not the pennant race,
not the real team issues. This game was, according to ESPN, about Manny
Ramirez. It was crucial not to let him get to the plate as the tying
run…that was all we heard. Disgusting, boring, and incompetent.
— Jack Marshall, Red Sox fan, perfectly capturing what I think about the direction the commentary so often takes in the big nationally-broadcast games anymore.
Drop the incessant harping on the “storylines,” networks. Thanks to the blogs and the nightly recaps on Baseball Tonight and MLB Network and everywhere else, most of them are old news by the time Saturday and Sunday roll around anyway. When it comes to the game itself, let’s talk about . . . the game itself.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 32
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 123
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (123)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)