Jun 21, 2010, 9:20 PM EDT
Who needs Roy Oswalt and Cliff Lee when you have a juicy trade rumor about David DeJesus? Hey, it’s a brutally slow Monday. Give me a break, okay?
According to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, the Giants have interest in acquiring DeJesus from the Royals, though it doesn’t appear the clubs are engaged in serious talks.
DeJesus, 30, is currently enjoying the best season of his career, batting .328/.400/.492 with five home runs, 31 RBI and 36 runs scored. He would offer the Giants an alternative in center field to Aaron Rowand, who is batting just .220 with a .261 on-base percentage and a lowly 643 OPS. The club has turned to Andres Torres in recent days, though he has cooled down a bit from a hot start.
The Royals are already out of things in the AL Central, but don’t look for them to just give DeJesus away. He has a team-friendly $6 million option on his contract for 2011, so they’ll be looking for a premium prospect.
For what it’s worth, Mychael Urban of CSNBayArea.com quotes a Giants’ official who says there’s “nothing happening [right now].”
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 4
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 16
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 50
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)