Jun 21, 2010, 9:20 PM EDT
Who needs Roy Oswalt and Cliff Lee when you have a juicy trade rumor about David DeJesus? Hey, it’s a brutally slow Monday. Give me a break, okay?
According to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, the Giants have interest in acquiring DeJesus from the Royals, though it doesn’t appear the clubs are engaged in serious talks.
DeJesus, 30, is currently enjoying the best season of his career, batting .328/.400/.492 with five home runs, 31 RBI and 36 runs scored. He would offer the Giants an alternative in center field to Aaron Rowand, who is batting just .220 with a .261 on-base percentage and a lowly 643 OPS. The club has turned to Andres Torres in recent days, though he has cooled down a bit from a hot start.
The Royals are already out of things in the AL Central, but don’t look for them to just give DeJesus away. He has a team-friendly $6 million option on his contract for 2011, so they’ll be looking for a premium prospect.
For what it’s worth, Mychael Urban of CSNBayArea.com quotes a Giants’ official who says there’s “nothing happening [right now].”
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)