Jun 21, 2010, 9:20 PM EDT
Who needs Roy Oswalt and Cliff Lee when you have a juicy trade rumor about David DeJesus? Hey, it’s a brutally slow Monday. Give me a break, okay?
According to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, the Giants have interest in acquiring DeJesus from the Royals, though it doesn’t appear the clubs are engaged in serious talks.
DeJesus, 30, is currently enjoying the best season of his career, batting .328/.400/.492 with five home runs, 31 RBI and 36 runs scored. He would offer the Giants an alternative in center field to Aaron Rowand, who is batting just .220 with a .261 on-base percentage and a lowly 643 OPS. The club has turned to Andres Torres in recent days, though he has cooled down a bit from a hot start.
The Royals are already out of things in the AL Central, but don’t look for them to just give DeJesus away. He has a team-friendly $6 million option on his contract for 2011, so they’ll be looking for a premium prospect.
For what it’s worth, Mychael Urban of CSNBayArea.com quotes a Giants’ official who says there’s “nothing happening [right now].”
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 23
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 183
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (185)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)