Jun 21, 2010, 9:20 PM EDT
Who needs Roy Oswalt and Cliff Lee when you have a juicy trade rumor about David DeJesus? Hey, it’s a brutally slow Monday. Give me a break, okay?
According to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, the Giants have interest in acquiring DeJesus from the Royals, though it doesn’t appear the clubs are engaged in serious talks.
DeJesus, 30, is currently enjoying the best season of his career, batting .328/.400/.492 with five home runs, 31 RBI and 36 runs scored. He would offer the Giants an alternative in center field to Aaron Rowand, who is batting just .220 with a .261 on-base percentage and a lowly 643 OPS. The club has turned to Andres Torres in recent days, though he has cooled down a bit from a hot start.
The Royals are already out of things in the AL Central, but don’t look for them to just give DeJesus away. He has a team-friendly $6 million option on his contract for 2011, so they’ll be looking for a premium prospect.
For what it’s worth, Mychael Urban of CSNBayArea.com quotes a Giants’ official who says there’s “nothing happening [right now].”
- Rangers “now clear-cut favorites” for Cole Hamels 8
- Not so fast! Dodgers-Marlins trade for Mat Latos “could be falling apart” 55
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 50
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 46
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 53
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)