Jun 21, 2010, 9:20 PM EDT
Who needs Roy Oswalt and Cliff Lee when you have a juicy trade rumor about David DeJesus? Hey, it’s a brutally slow Monday. Give me a break, okay?
According to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, the Giants have interest in acquiring DeJesus from the Royals, though it doesn’t appear the clubs are engaged in serious talks.
DeJesus, 30, is currently enjoying the best season of his career, batting .328/.400/.492 with five home runs, 31 RBI and 36 runs scored. He would offer the Giants an alternative in center field to Aaron Rowand, who is batting just .220 with a .261 on-base percentage and a lowly 643 OPS. The club has turned to Andres Torres in recent days, though he has cooled down a bit from a hot start.
The Royals are already out of things in the AL Central, but don’t look for them to just give DeJesus away. He has a team-friendly $6 million option on his contract for 2011, so they’ll be looking for a premium prospect.
For what it’s worth, Mychael Urban of CSNBayArea.com quotes a Giants’ official who says there’s “nothing happening [right now].”
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)