Jun 21, 2010, 8:20 AM EDT
Like I said in the recaps, I had a good Father’s Day yesterday. Dinner was a nice steak on the back patio. Talking to a friend about it he said “man, that stinks that you have to cook your own dinner on Father’s Day.” Silly man. My wife does all the grilling in my house. Do I lose man points for that? I dunno, the way I see it, having a beautiful woman bring you grilled meats should count for bonus man points.
Anyway, here’s what you missed as you battled the charcoal:
- Well, whaddaya know? The Astros and Rangers have talked about Roy Oswalt. Don’t tell Buster Olney!
- Troy Tulowitzki is going to miss 6-8 weeks. Bummer, dude.
- Mat Latos: overlooked stud.
- Strasburg strikes out 10 but the Nats lose. Some day some idiot writer will tell everyone that he doesn’t deserve to be in the Hall of Fame because he just didn’t know how to win.
- Apparently Chase Utley was only mostly dead.
- There’s an error in the headline of this post. It should read “Cliff Lee is reDONKulous.”
- John Maine has likely thrown his last pitch as a New York Met.
- If you had asked me which pitcher led the majors in strikeouts before I read this article I would have made ten or twelve incorrect guesses before getting it right. And I’m someone who reads every single box score each morning.
- I’ve got a great idea for a promotion: ten cent vuvuzela demolition night!
- Ryan Franklin is probably going to retire after the 2011 season. Good thing this is baseball and not some cop movie, or else Franklin would probably get shot which, while paving the way for his young, loose-cannon partner to exact satisfying revenge, would be rather sad for the Franklin family.
- Rick Porcello takes I-75 south to Toledo. Well, I suppose he could have chartered a boat to take him there via Lake Erie and the Maumee River, but the freeway is probably the best bet.
Encarnacion was sent down too. Not as easy a trip for him since the
Jays’ AAA team is in Vegas. I mean, he could fly, but why not take a
week and go
the scenic route?
- Miguel Montero and Jose Valverde are feuding. If this was wrestling, the equivalent would be, I dunno, Randy Mulkey talking smack to Iron Mike Sharpe.
- And while we’re talking 1980s WWF, why not include Lady Gaga as the Cyndi Lauper character?
We now return you to your regularly-scheduled work week. And, uhh, yeah, it’s just we’re putting new coversheets on all the TPS reports
before they go out now. So if you could go ahead and try to remember to
do that from now on, that’d be great. All right?
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)