Jun 21, 2010, 9:05 AM EST
I’m surprised this doesn’t happen more often: Astros’ catcher Humberto Quintero was hit on the side of the head with Adres Blanco’s backswing during yesterday’s Astros-Rangers game.
The video is here. You can hear the bat smack Quintero’s helmet. One of those hockey-style helmets, by the way, which you have to figure was the best thing going for him. As it was he got a gash on the head that required seven stitches. If this was the 1950s and he was just wearing a wool cap under the mask, ye gods it would have been bad. Of course, if it were the 1950s the umps probably wouldn’t allow players to erase the back chalk line of the batter’s box and stand so deep like they do, but that’s another conversation.
They’re saying that Quintero has no concussion symptoms which is both good and, frankly, damn nigh amazing.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 39
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 89
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 121
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (121)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (108)