Jun 21, 2010, 9:05 AM EDT
I’m surprised this doesn’t happen more often: Astros’ catcher Humberto Quintero was hit on the side of the head with Adres Blanco’s backswing during yesterday’s Astros-Rangers game.
The video is here. You can hear the bat smack Quintero’s helmet. One of those hockey-style helmets, by the way, which you have to figure was the best thing going for him. As it was he got a gash on the head that required seven stitches. If this was the 1950s and he was just wearing a wool cap under the mask, ye gods it would have been bad. Of course, if it were the 1950s the umps probably wouldn’t allow players to erase the back chalk line of the batter’s box and stand so deep like they do, but that’s another conversation.
They’re saying that Quintero has no concussion symptoms which is both good and, frankly, damn nigh amazing.
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)