Jun 21, 2010, 9:05 AM EDT
I’m surprised this doesn’t happen more often: Astros’ catcher Humberto Quintero was hit on the side of the head with Adres Blanco’s backswing during yesterday’s Astros-Rangers game.
The video is here. You can hear the bat smack Quintero’s helmet. One of those hockey-style helmets, by the way, which you have to figure was the best thing going for him. As it was he got a gash on the head that required seven stitches. If this was the 1950s and he was just wearing a wool cap under the mask, ye gods it would have been bad. Of course, if it were the 1950s the umps probably wouldn’t allow players to erase the back chalk line of the batter’s box and stand so deep like they do, but that’s another conversation.
They’re saying that Quintero has no concussion symptoms which is both good and, frankly, damn nigh amazing.
- Rays play Saturday’s game against the Blue Jays under protest 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 33
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)