Jun 21, 2010, 9:05 AM EDT
I’m surprised this doesn’t happen more often: Astros’ catcher Humberto Quintero was hit on the side of the head with Adres Blanco’s backswing during yesterday’s Astros-Rangers game.
The video is here. You can hear the bat smack Quintero’s helmet. One of those hockey-style helmets, by the way, which you have to figure was the best thing going for him. As it was he got a gash on the head that required seven stitches. If this was the 1950s and he was just wearing a wool cap under the mask, ye gods it would have been bad. Of course, if it were the 1950s the umps probably wouldn’t allow players to erase the back chalk line of the batter’s box and stand so deep like they do, but that’s another conversation.
They’re saying that Quintero has no concussion symptoms which is both good and, frankly, damn nigh amazing.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)