Jun 21, 2010, 9:05 AM EDT
I’m surprised this doesn’t happen more often: Astros’ catcher Humberto Quintero was hit on the side of the head with Adres Blanco’s backswing during yesterday’s Astros-Rangers game.
The video is here. You can hear the bat smack Quintero’s helmet. One of those hockey-style helmets, by the way, which you have to figure was the best thing going for him. As it was he got a gash on the head that required seven stitches. If this was the 1950s and he was just wearing a wool cap under the mask, ye gods it would have been bad. Of course, if it were the 1950s the umps probably wouldn’t allow players to erase the back chalk line of the batter’s box and stand so deep like they do, but that’s another conversation.
They’re saying that Quintero has no concussion symptoms which is both good and, frankly, damn nigh amazing.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)