Jun 21, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
There is some moderate consternation among Yankees fans about what the Yankees will do with Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera and Joe Girardi this offseason, seeing as all three of them will no longer be under contract once the year ends. Sure, everyone knows that all three will almost certainly be back, but the details are a bit fuzzy and, given the ages of Rivera and Jeter, the negotiations could be kind of delicate. It’s not really a question of “if” they’ll come back but “how.”
The “how” for at least one of those guys is clearing up, however, as Mariano Rivera told Joel Sherman of the New York Post recently that he would accept an Andy Pettitte-style one-year deal to come back. You figure that he’d take a series of them, actually, with the Yankees continuing to offer them for as long as Rivera remains effective. Which, at present, seems will be forever.
Probably good news for Yankees fans. Everyone knows that Jeter will get a big deal that, at the end of the day, will probably be for too much money. No one really cares about that actually. Rivera was probably a source of slightly greater concern inasmuch as it was within the realm of the possible that he’d demand multiple years and the Yankees would balk, at least initially.
As of now, that seems to be a moot point.
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game, as they’re announced… 1
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 102
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)