Jun 21, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
There is some moderate consternation among Yankees fans about what the Yankees will do with Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera and Joe Girardi this offseason, seeing as all three of them will no longer be under contract once the year ends. Sure, everyone knows that all three will almost certainly be back, but the details are a bit fuzzy and, given the ages of Rivera and Jeter, the negotiations could be kind of delicate. It’s not really a question of “if” they’ll come back but “how.”
The “how” for at least one of those guys is clearing up, however, as Mariano Rivera told Joel Sherman of the New York Post recently that he would accept an Andy Pettitte-style one-year deal to come back. You figure that he’d take a series of them, actually, with the Yankees continuing to offer them for as long as Rivera remains effective. Which, at present, seems will be forever.
Probably good news for Yankees fans. Everyone knows that Jeter will get a big deal that, at the end of the day, will probably be for too much money. No one really cares about that actually. Rivera was probably a source of slightly greater concern inasmuch as it was within the realm of the possible that he’d demand multiple years and the Yankees would balk, at least initially.
As of now, that seems to be a moot point.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 7
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 83
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 59
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (87)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (77)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)