Jun 21, 2010, 8:46 AM EST
The Mets, whose recent winning ways have apparently stimulated some brain cells in management, have finally done what they should have done weeks ago and have sent Jenrry Mejia down to the minors to stretch out and get converted back into a starting pitcher. He’ll ply his trade in Double-A Binghamton.
I’ve beat this drum over and over again, but when you have a studly young starting pitcher it’s a mistake to fastrack him to the bullpen. Yes, he’ll likely be effective as a reliever, but so will any number of other guys because it’s inherently easier to throw fastballs for an inning than it is to start a game and use your full panoply of pitches against an entire lineup.
As it was, Mejia wasn’t being used that often and every day he wasn’t throwing his full arsenal was a wasted day in his development. OK, maybe not totally wasted — being on the big club for a while was probably good for big league orientation purposes — but training to go seven innings is more important than figuring out where your locker and the library and the guidance counselor are.
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 1
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 21
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)