Jun 21, 2010, 12:13 PM EST
Tracy Ringolsby reports that the Orioles had a scout at Colorado Springs yesterday watching Rockies’ prospect Esmil Rogers pitch. His take: that the Rockies could have an interest in the O’s second baseman Ty Wigginton and that O’s were thus scouting players they’d expect in return.
Makes sense. Wigginton has been one of the lone bright spots for the Orioles this year (.274/.361/.487), but he’s 32, he’s only signed for the rest of this year and it’s not like he’ll be around for the next good Orioles’ team, assuming one of those ever happens again.
Rogers is a bit unpolished but he has good stuff and would be a nice little pickup for the Orioles, especially if all it costs is 3+ months of decent production from Wigginton on a 100+ loss team.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 13
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)