Jun 21, 2010, 11:43 AM EDT
Tim Lincecum took a line drive off the back of his right shoulder on the final pitch of his start last Wednesday, but the Giants insisted afterward that he could have remained in the game had he not already thrown 111 pitches and sure enough his next start will come right on schedule.
Lincecum threw his usual between-starts bullpen session yesterday and reported no problems, clearing him to face Roy Oswalt and the Astros tomorrow. Lincecum’s velocity is down and he’s been merely very good rather than his usual dominant self for the past month, so facing the Astros’ awful lineup will be a good test for the back-to-back reigning Cy Young winner.
He’s faced Houston twice already this season, going 2-0 with a 0.60 ERA, but both starts came before his stretch of non-dominance.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 73
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 68
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (76)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)