Jun 21, 2010, 7:23 PM EST
Consistent with their stated plan to limit his workload this season, the Yankees will skip Phil Hughes in the rotation this week, according to Sweeny Murti of WFAN.
The Yankees will take advantage of scheduled off-days for Thursday and next Monday in order to push Hughes’ next start back until next Tuesday against the Mariners. Hughes was originally on track to start against the Dodgers on Friday.
The 23-year-old right-hander has been one of the best starters in the American League so far this season, exceeding all expectations by amassing 82 1/3 innings over his first 13 starts. That’s an average of 6 1/3 innings per start. Hughes is currently tied with David Price and Clay Buchholz for the American League lead with 10 wins.
As Aaron outlined last month, this plan won’t be as extreme as the way Joba Chamberlain was handled last season. According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, this is the only time Hughes will be skipped before the All-Star break. In other words, there’s no need to panic about this decision. The Yankees aren’t about to disrupt another pitcher’s rhythm, but they’ll surely look to find Hughes rest when they can.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 2
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 29
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 89
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 44
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (92)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)