Jun 22, 2010, 5:45 AM EDT
Reds 6, Athletics 4: Wild. Francisco Cordero couldn’t hold a 2-1 lead in the ninth, giving up a Kevin Kouzmanoff homer to send it into extras. The Reds hit three dingers off the A’s pen in the tenth to take a 6-2 lead. Cordero then walked the first two A’s batters to start the bottom of the tenth and was yanked. The A’s end up having the bases loaded with no outs, but only score two — both on groundouts — and then Jack Cust whiffs to end the game. Thanks to the A’s massive failure, Cordero ends up getting what may be the least-deserved win by a pitcher this season.
Diamondbacks 10, Yankees 4: A.J. Burnett and his straight, deception-free fastball gets shelled by the Dbacks for seven runs on nine hits, leaving the outcome of this one without any doubt from the get-go.
Nationals 2, Royals 1: The Royals manage 11 hits but only one run thanks to two caught stealings, a pickoff and a couple of sacrifices. Viva small ball and everything, but you give away outs like that and you make even a tomato can like Livan Hernandez look good.
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 1
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 56
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 24
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 54
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 159
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (160)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)