Jun 22, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Jake Fox’s time in Oakland lasted all of 39 games, as the A’s traded him to the Orioles today after giving up three minor-league pitchers to get him from the Cubs this winter. Fox certainly didn’t do himself any favors by hitting just .214 with a .591 OPS, but giving up on him after just 106 plate appearances is another example of general manager Billy Beane and the A’s being increasingly impatient with many moves lately.
None of which is to suggest Fox is any kind of special player. He’s already 27 years old despite having just 368 career plate appearances in the majors, hasn’t hit much with a .711 OPS, and isn’t really a good defender anywhere despite being versatile enough to see time at first base, left field, right field, third base, and catcher.
In return for Fox the A’s get 27-year-old right-hander Ross Wolf from the Orioles, which is significantly less than they gave up to get Fox in December. Wolf has a 3.81 ERA and 171/95 K/BB ratio in 255 innings at Triple-A and was rocked for 16 runs in 12 innings during his only big-league stint in 2007, so it’s pretty close to a giveaway.
Baltimore likely represents Fox’s last chance to show that his success in the minors was for real. He’s hit .298 with 77 homers, 100 doubles, and a .920 OPS in 350 games between Double-A and Triple-A, but poor plate discipline and little defensive value make him more of a part-time player and bench bat than starter material. Either way, the A’s just bought relatively high and sold relatively low on Fox, and the Orioles picked up a potentially useful player on the cheap.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 70
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)