Jun 22, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Jake Fox’s time in Oakland lasted all of 39 games, as the A’s traded him to the Orioles today after giving up three minor-league pitchers to get him from the Cubs this winter. Fox certainly didn’t do himself any favors by hitting just .214 with a .591 OPS, but giving up on him after just 106 plate appearances is another example of general manager Billy Beane and the A’s being increasingly impatient with many moves lately.
None of which is to suggest Fox is any kind of special player. He’s already 27 years old despite having just 368 career plate appearances in the majors, hasn’t hit much with a .711 OPS, and isn’t really a good defender anywhere despite being versatile enough to see time at first base, left field, right field, third base, and catcher.
In return for Fox the A’s get 27-year-old right-hander Ross Wolf from the Orioles, which is significantly less than they gave up to get Fox in December. Wolf has a 3.81 ERA and 171/95 K/BB ratio in 255 innings at Triple-A and was rocked for 16 runs in 12 innings during his only big-league stint in 2007, so it’s pretty close to a giveaway.
Baltimore likely represents Fox’s last chance to show that his success in the minors was for real. He’s hit .298 with 77 homers, 100 doubles, and a .920 OPS in 350 games between Double-A and Triple-A, but poor plate discipline and little defensive value make him more of a part-time player and bench bat than starter material. Either way, the A’s just bought relatively high and sold relatively low on Fox, and the Orioles picked up a potentially useful player on the cheap.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 52
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 46
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 112
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (113)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)