Jun 22, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
The Blue Jays won’t be going back to Jose Bautista at the hot corner after designating Edwin Encarnacion for assignment on Monday. Manager Cito Gaston said Tuesday that Jarrett Hoffpauir would take over as the everyday third baseman, with Bautista remaining in right field.
It’s a huge break for Hoffpauir. Formerly a second baseman in the Cardinals system, he put up solid numbers on an annual basis, yet he was given just 12 at-bats at the major league level before being dropped from the 40-man roster last winter. The Blue Jays claimed him off waivers and watched him hit .328/.378/.532 for Triple-A Las Vegas.
Of course, that was Las Vegas. Hoffpauir was batting .383/.434/.670 in one of the best hitting environments in the minors. In road games, he was at a far more modest .275/.323/.400. Two-thirds of his extra-base hits came at home.
Hoffpauir’s big chance comes just days after he turned 27 on June 18. He’ll probably have only a few weeks to establish himself, given that the Jays expect Travis Snider back after the All-Star break. With Snider back in the outfield, the Jays would have more incentive to use Bautista at third.
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 54
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (82)