Jun 22, 2010, 5:02 PM EDT
Omar Minaya said today that Carlos Beltran will begin a
minor league rehab assignment with High-A St. Lucie on Thursday. The location kind of stinks for him. He’s been in Port St. Lucie for months on end now. He probably wants new restaurants, ya know?
Anyway, Beltran and the Mets have to be pleased that he has finally been cleared to begin an
official rehab stint. The hope now is for him to make his return just after the All-Star break.
A month ago, the thought that he was needed back simply to make the Mets respectable. Getting him back in July, however, could make a big difference as the Mets try to make a serious playoff push.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 41
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 40
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 71
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 111
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (189)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (111)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)