Correction of the Day: The Washington Post

Jun 22, 2010, 5:42 PM EST

When bloggers screw something up we try our best to fix it in the main article so that the best information is out there where the most people can see it. Newspapers can’t just reprint, however, so they have to do hilarious little corrections like this one:

The Tracee Hamilton column in the June 19 Sports section, about
Washington Nationals pitcher Stephen Strasburg, incorrectly referred to
former Houston Astros pitcher J.R. Richard as deceased. Richard, whose
record for most strikeouts in a pitcher’s first three starts was broken
by Strasburg, is alive.

I guess it’s not so hilarious, really. The fact that even a sports section of a major daily newspaper has lost track of J.R. Richard — who was once truly great and on the road to even greater things before suffering a career-ending stroke in his prime — is pretty sad.

Here’s a lot more J.R. Richard information for you, complete with details of his often tragic post-baseball life. I was seven when his career ended. Just before that, I was convinced that he was the greatest pitcher in all of baseball.

(thanks to Kevin Reiss for the heads up)

1. Scott - Jun 22, 2010 at 6:22 PM

You should win a pulitzer for the teaser to this article. That would never fly in the old HBT format.
    Careful with awesome teasers to stories like this, there once was a boy who cried wolf

2. Glenn - Jun 22, 2010 at 9:16 PM

I grew up a die hard Red Sox fan, but my favorite non-Sox player was JR Richard by far. The Astros became my National League team and continue to be so today. JR seemed larger than life and I was devastated as a boy when he had a stroke. This was back in the day before internet and 24 hour sport coverage. It was all box scores, Sports Illustrated, and This Week in Baseball; yet that man had that large of an impact on some kid in New England. Think about that.

3. Glenn - Jun 23, 2010 at 12:16 AM

The confusion is understandable. Fellow Astro pitcher Don Wilson died within the JR Richard era. He was also a pretty good African-American pitcher.

4. Chris W - Jun 23, 2010 at 1:37 AM

Craig: At age seven you were probably right.

5. BC - Jun 23, 2010 at 10:20 AM

I have never EVER seen anyone who threw the ball harder than JR Richard. Not Randy Johnson, not Mark Wohlers (when he didn’t suck), not this Bard dude that plays for the Red Sox. Not even Nolan Ryan. Richard had a cannon for an arm. He was 6’8″ or 6’9″ and just huge. Never seen anything like that since.

6. Rays fan1 - Jun 23, 2010 at 11:31 AM

I was a 17-year-old Reds fan when he had his stroke & he was definitely a respected/feared adversary. I particularly remember the newspaper and magazine articles accusing him of acting like a prima donna, of dogging it, & JR Richard eventually not talking to the media. I was also apalled at the absence of apology (at least in my local paper) after the stroke. Now, every time I hear some professional athlete being accused of laziness or attitude, absent any real evidence, I think of JR Richard.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5166)