Jun 22, 2010, 11:49 AM EDT
Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos revealed yesterday that Dustin McGowan will need another shoulder surgery following his latest setback, knocking him out for a second straight season and putting the once-promising right-hander’s career in serious jeopardy.
McGowan hasn’t thrown a pitch in the majors since July of 2008 and felt a “pop” while rehabbing his surgically repaired shoulder last week, with Anthopoulos indicating that a return in 2011 isn’t assured.
Armed with a mid-90s fastball and very good slider McGowan had a 4.03 ERA and 211 strikeouts in 255 innings from the beginning of 2007 through mid-June of 2008, but then posted a 5.81 ERA over his next five starts before being shut down. Two surgeries and at least 30 months on the sidelines later, he might be considered an underdog to improve upon his career total of 20 wins.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 54
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 31
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 8
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)