Jun 22, 2010, 11:49 AM EDT
Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos revealed yesterday that Dustin McGowan will need another shoulder surgery following his latest setback, knocking him out for a second straight season and putting the once-promising right-hander’s career in serious jeopardy.
McGowan hasn’t thrown a pitch in the majors since July of 2008 and felt a “pop” while rehabbing his surgically repaired shoulder last week, with Anthopoulos indicating that a return in 2011 isn’t assured.
Armed with a mid-90s fastball and very good slider McGowan had a 4.03 ERA and 211 strikeouts in 255 innings from the beginning of 2007 through mid-June of 2008, but then posted a 5.81 ERA over his next five starts before being shut down. Two surgeries and at least 30 months on the sidelines later, he might be considered an underdog to improve upon his career total of 20 wins.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 39
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 53
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 44
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)