Jun 22, 2010, 9:51 PM EDT
Erick Aybar has been shut down until later this week after receiving a cortisone shot in his left knee on Tuesday, according to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times.
Aybar hasn’t played since suffering cartilage damage in his left knee on
a hard slide by Casey McGehee of the Brewers slide last Monday. The club will wait a few days to see how the knee responds to today’s shot, but it appears he’s headed for the disabled list.
“We’re encouraged that long-range, it won’t be an issue,” Manager Mike
Scioscia said before the Angels’ game against the Dodgers. “But
short-range, we might shut him down and give him an extra week to get
Aybar is batting .272/.336/.352 with one home run, 13 RBI, 11 stolen bases and 41 runs scored over his first 261 at-bats this season. Brandon Wood, who was activated from the disabled list last week, will continue to fill in at shortstop.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 38
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 69
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 121
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (126)
- Fox’s World Series broadcast gets a low grade from The New York Times (110)