Jun 22, 2010, 9:51 PM EDT
Erick Aybar has been shut down until later this week after receiving a cortisone shot in his left knee on Tuesday, according to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times.
Aybar hasn’t played since suffering cartilage damage in his left knee on
a hard slide by Casey McGehee of the Brewers slide last Monday. The club will wait a few days to see how the knee responds to today’s shot, but it appears he’s headed for the disabled list.
“We’re encouraged that long-range, it won’t be an issue,” Manager Mike
Scioscia said before the Angels’ game against the Dodgers. “But
short-range, we might shut him down and give him an extra week to get
Aybar is batting .272/.336/.352 with one home run, 13 RBI, 11 stolen bases and 41 runs scored over his first 261 at-bats this season. Brandon Wood, who was activated from the disabled list last week, will continue to fill in at shortstop.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 18
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 26
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 24
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 39
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)