Jun 22, 2010, 1:48 PM EST
Out since August shoulder surgery, Erik Bedard made his first minor-league rehab start last night and allowed one run in 2.2 innings against rookie-ball hitters.
Bedard faced 12 batters and threw 52 pitches, striking out three, walking none, and giving up four hits. He’s scheduled to make his next rehab start Saturday, also against rookie-ball competition, and barring a setback is expected to move up to the high minors for at least one more outing before potentially joining the Mariners.
Bedard pitched very well after coming back from shoulder surgery last season, going 5-3 with a 2.82 ERA and 90/34 K/BB ratio in 83 innings before being shut down again. If he can jump into Seattle’s rotation at some point next month and perform similarly for a few starts the Mariners might be able to cash him in for something at the trading deadline.
Seattle re-signed Bedard to an incentive-laden one-year contract worth $1.5 million in guaranteed money and also holds an $8 million option or $250,000 buyout on the 31-year-old southpaw for 2011. He’d obviously be a very risky pickup, but the asking price probably isn’t much and if healthy Bedard could potentially help a contender in the second half.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 0
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 50
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 41
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)