Jun 22, 2010, 1:48 PM EDT
Out since August shoulder surgery, Erik Bedard made his first minor-league rehab start last night and allowed one run in 2.2 innings against rookie-ball hitters.
Bedard faced 12 batters and threw 52 pitches, striking out three, walking none, and giving up four hits. He’s scheduled to make his next rehab start Saturday, also against rookie-ball competition, and barring a setback is expected to move up to the high minors for at least one more outing before potentially joining the Mariners.
Bedard pitched very well after coming back from shoulder surgery last season, going 5-3 with a 2.82 ERA and 90/34 K/BB ratio in 83 innings before being shut down again. If he can jump into Seattle’s rotation at some point next month and perform similarly for a few starts the Mariners might be able to cash him in for something at the trading deadline.
Seattle re-signed Bedard to an incentive-laden one-year contract worth $1.5 million in guaranteed money and also holds an $8 million option or $250,000 buyout on the 31-year-old southpaw for 2011. He’d obviously be a very risky pickup, but the asking price probably isn’t much and if healthy Bedard could potentially help a contender in the second half.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)