Gammons is not a fan of ESPN's Manny hype either

Jun 22, 2010, 9:06 AM EST

Yesterday reader Jack Marshall said what I thought slamming ESPN’s focus on the Manny Ramirez storyline to exclusion of, you know, the baseball game being played between the Dodgers and Red Sox on Sunday night. Last night, in an interview with WEEI’s Sam Dykstra, Peter Gammons agreed.

When asked whether it doesn’t make sense that there is still a pretty strong Manny Ramirez fascination in Boston, he said “I guess so” but added “I’m not celebrity-driven. I tend to be baseball-driven so it
really didn’t fascinate me at all.”  Gammons took a more direct swipe at the Worldwide leader, debunking the notion that David Ortiz misses having Manny Ramirez in the lineup, saying “that whole story is a fable that people on ESPN like to tell.”

He then went on to list all of the reasons why fixating on Manny Ramirez makes little sense, including the fact that he’s just not a special player anymore. Indeed, Gammons said that if you take away the post-trade, pre-suspension time with the Dodgers, he’s basically been Billy Butler for the past four years. An interesting guy on some level, and likely a Hall of Famer, but not worthy of the hype in 2010.

I couldn’t be in greater agreement with Gammons on this point. The biggest problem with nationally televised baseball these days is the obsession with cramming dramatic narratives and storylines into the proceedings, likely on the assumption that a sporting event in and of itself is not enough to hold the fan’s interest.

Make a note of the guy’s tenure in Boston during his first at bat. Put up a little factoid graphic if you must. But then let it freakin’ go.

1. (Not That) Tom - Jun 22, 2010 at 9:44 AM

This isn’t endemic to just baseball, though. Every sport suffers from dramatically-slick storylines and have been for years.

2. Jonny5 - Jun 22, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Ahh the slime ball media strikes again. Ever hear of Jesse Levis? He was headline news for awhile. Until he had charges dropped against him, then nothing. You’d have thunk he was found guilty of his charges. Sensationalism at it’s worst, with no attempt at fair journalism. The media does victimize people.

3. BC - Jun 22, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Gammons is a doddering, senile old man who should just retire. And oh yeah, he doesn’t like the celebrity thing. What the f— does he think HE is?? ESPN made him relevant countrywide instead of being a local yokal. Gammons just needs to shut it and go back to writing newspaper columns.

4. JCD - Jun 22, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Oh please there were like 18 pages of posts on SOSH about Manny returning (do we cheer? do we boo?), this weekend WAS big news for Sox fans. Without alot of the drama baseball would be terminally boring for most of us.

5. 18to04 - Jun 22, 2010 at 11:58 AM

I live outside Los Angeles and I am a hugh Red Sox fan. I have 5 flat screen t.v.’s in my house and 1 projection. The one I have on my kitchen wall is the only one with satalite service for the sole purpose of watching the Red Sox games on NESN because most of the broadcasts around the country are very hard to listen to because most are not very objective, with the White Sox broadcasters being the worst. Nothing like 3 hours of “we” and “us” when talking about the team. ESPN and Fox are just as bad when it comes to the Yankees. So on those games, I just turn the volume down, put WEEI on the computer and enjoy the game. I have no idea what storylines Fox was trying to weave or what angle ESPN was trying to overhype.

6. 27xchamps - Jun 22, 2010 at 12:04 PM

WWWHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

7. Bokosse - Jun 22, 2010 at 1:03 PM

“We’re on ESPN or MLB Network twice a week, but I can’t get objective broadcasters! Grr!”
    Suck an egg, Red Sox fans.

8. Florida727 - Jun 22, 2010 at 1:21 PM

The baseball season is a HUNDRED AND SIXTY TWO games long. How can any one game hold even the most ardent of fan’s interest without some unique story-line to hitch it to? Great for curing insomnia though. Wonder what kind of reprimand Gammons will get from the brass at ESPN for taking pot-shots at his paycheck supplier…

9. whojhouse - Jun 22, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Right, because Orsillo and Remy are wicked objective.

10. aroid - Jun 22, 2010 at 1:55 PM

None, He doesn’t work for ESPN anymore.

11. bigpapi701 - Jun 22, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Peter Gammons hasn’t worked for ESPN for two years he is an employee of the MLB network and that is why he is ripping espn now.

12. JBerardi - Jun 22, 2010 at 2:33 PM

“The baseball season is a HUNDRED AND SIXTY TWO games long. How can any one game hold even the most ardent of fan’s interest without some unique story-line to hitch it to?”

God, I know, watching baseball suck so bad… why do we even do it?

13. Jack Marshall - Jun 23, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Ignorant comment. Since the entire baseball season is an unfolding epic of remarkable depth and drama for anyone playing attention, there are dozens of important threads and developments involving both teams in the most meaningless, mid-season game between non-contenders. Anyone who is a real fan knows that. National broadcasts, by obscuring the complexity of the games, make the game seem boring to casual observers.

14. Mr. Furious - Jun 24, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Heh. That part was pretty funny. Lauding the objectivity of WEEI or NESN broadcasts is kind of like praising North Korea’s hard-hitting official news outlet. And the idea that FOX and ESPN don’t fellate the Red Sox every bit as much as the Yankees is similarly laughable.
    I do agree, though, that the Hawk Harrelson is an absolutely horrible broadcaster. If I have some reason to watch a White Sox game, I’ll listen to whatever feed is on XM rather than run the very serious risk of having my ears bleed.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5041)