Jun 22, 2010, 9:06 AM EDT
Yesterday reader Jack Marshall said what I thought slamming ESPN’s focus on the Manny Ramirez storyline to exclusion of, you know, the baseball game being played between the Dodgers and Red Sox on Sunday night. Last night, in an interview with WEEI’s Sam Dykstra, Peter Gammons agreed.
When asked whether it doesn’t make sense that there is still a pretty strong Manny Ramirez fascination in Boston, he said “I guess so” but added “I’m not celebrity-driven. I tend to be baseball-driven so it
really didn’t fascinate me at all.” Gammons took a more direct swipe at the Worldwide leader, debunking the notion that David Ortiz misses having Manny Ramirez in the lineup, saying “that whole story is a fable that people on ESPN like to tell.”
He then went on to list all of the reasons why fixating on Manny Ramirez makes little sense, including the fact that he’s just not a special player anymore. Indeed, Gammons said that if you take away the post-trade, pre-suspension time with the Dodgers, he’s basically been Billy Butler for the past four years. An interesting guy on some level, and likely a Hall of Famer, but not worthy of the hype in 2010.
I couldn’t be in greater agreement with Gammons on this point. The biggest problem with nationally televised baseball these days is the obsession with cramming dramatic narratives and storylines into the proceedings, likely on the assumption that a sporting event in and of itself is not enough to hold the fan’s interest.
Make a note of the guy’s tenure in Boston during his first at bat. Put up a little factoid graphic if you must. But then let it freakin’ go.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)