Jun 22, 2010, 5:25 PM EST
Odd story over at Walkoff Walk today: when Mark Teixeira was a kid he was a huge Nirvana fan. So big that, when Kurt Cobain offed himself, Teixeira took to calling himself “Kurt.” Turned in schoolwork and filled out forms with his name as “Kurt Teixeira” and everything.
Rob at Walkoff Walk calls it “an unhealthy obsession,” but I think every kid goes through some phase of intense fandom like that at some point.
If you don’t believe me, just do a Google Search for “Kip Winger Calcaterra.” But understand, I was young and impressionable . . .
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (223)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)