Jun 22, 2010, 5:25 PM EDT
Odd story over at Walkoff Walk today: when Mark Teixeira was a kid he was a huge Nirvana fan. So big that, when Kurt Cobain offed himself, Teixeira took to calling himself “Kurt.” Turned in schoolwork and filled out forms with his name as “Kurt Teixeira” and everything.
Rob at Walkoff Walk calls it “an unhealthy obsession,” but I think every kid goes through some phase of intense fandom like that at some point.
If you don’t believe me, just do a Google Search for “Kip Winger Calcaterra.” But understand, I was young and impressionable . . .
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)