Jun 22, 2010, 5:25 PM EST
Odd story over at Walkoff Walk today: when Mark Teixeira was a kid he was a huge Nirvana fan. So big that, when Kurt Cobain offed himself, Teixeira took to calling himself “Kurt.” Turned in schoolwork and filled out forms with his name as “Kurt Teixeira” and everything.
Rob at Walkoff Walk calls it “an unhealthy obsession,” but I think every kid goes through some phase of intense fandom like that at some point.
If you don’t believe me, just do a Google Search for “Kip Winger Calcaterra.” But understand, I was young and impressionable . . .
- Keith Law Ranks the Farm Systems: Yay for Chicago! Boo for Detroit! 0
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 153
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (153)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)