Jun 22, 2010, 3:45 PM EST
Jimmy Rollins’ second month-long disabled list stint of the season is over, with the All-Star shortstop returning after being out since May 21 with the same calf injury that knocked him out for nearly five weeks earlier this year.
In the 12 games he’s been healthy enough to play this season Rollins hit .341 with seven extra-base hits and a 1.096 OPS, but fill-ins Juan Castro and Wilson Valdez combined to hit just .241 with a .260 on-base percentage, .335 slugging percentage, and 34/5 K/BB ratio starting at shortstop in his absence.
Thanks in part to that big dropoff in production the Phillies have gone just 26-29 without Rollins in the lineup, so getting him back and actually keeping him healthy this time will be crucial as they try to keep pace with the Braves and Mets in the NL East.
Unfortunately for the Phillies they won’t be at full strength even with Rollins’ return, because Carlos Ruiz was placed on the disabled list with concussion-like symptoms due to being struck on the head by a broken bat Friday. Among catchers who’ve played at least 50 games this season Ruiz ranks second to only Geovany Soto with a .398 on-base percentage. Brian Schneider will get most of the starts behind the plate while he’s on the shelf.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (74)