Jun 22, 2010, 2:49 PM EDT
On the disabled list with lower back soreness for the past five weeks, Josh Beckett threw a bullpen session yesterday at Fenway Park.
According to general manager Theo Epstein he’ll likely need at least one more throwing session before potentially beginning a minor-league rehab assignment.
Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe speculates that “the earliest he could return is roughly the first week of July, but it’s likely to be later than that as the Sox will want to make sure Beckett is OK and not in danger of altering his mechanics.”
Beckett had a 7.29 ERA in eight starts before landing on the disabled list, including back-to-back ugly outings against the Yankees that saw him allow 14 runs in 10 innings before being shut down.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 12
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)