Jun 22, 2010, 2:49 PM EST
On the disabled list with lower back soreness for the past five weeks, Josh Beckett threw a bullpen session yesterday at Fenway Park.
According to general manager Theo Epstein he’ll likely need at least one more throwing session before potentially beginning a minor-league rehab assignment.
Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe speculates that “the earliest he could return is roughly the first week of July, but it’s likely to be later than that as the Sox will want to make sure Beckett is OK and not in danger of altering his mechanics.”
Beckett had a 7.29 ERA in eight starts before landing on the disabled list, including back-to-back ugly outings against the Yankees that saw him allow 14 runs in 10 innings before being shut down.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)