Jun 22, 2010, 2:49 PM EDT
On the disabled list with lower back soreness for the past five weeks, Josh Beckett threw a bullpen session yesterday at Fenway Park.
According to general manager Theo Epstein he’ll likely need at least one more throwing session before potentially beginning a minor-league rehab assignment.
Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe speculates that “the earliest he could return is roughly the first week of July, but it’s likely to be later than that as the Sox will want to make sure Beckett is OK and not in danger of altering his mechanics.”
Beckett had a 7.29 ERA in eight starts before landing on the disabled list, including back-to-back ugly outings against the Yankees that saw him allow 14 runs in 10 innings before being shut down.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)