Jun 22, 2010, 7:05 PM EDT
Mark DeRosa is slated for season-ending surgery on his troublesome left wrist, according to John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle.
DeRosa, in the first year of a two-year, $12 million contract, hit just .194/.279/.258 with one homer in 93 at-bats before going on the DL on May 9. The Giants signed him to play left field after he hit .250/.319/.433 with 23 homers for the Indians and Cardinals in 2009.
While DeRosa wanted to avoid surgery and again try to play through his injury, the Giants appear far better off without him, or at least without the DeRosa who would have been playing at 80 percent at best. The team is currently using Aubrey Huff frequently in left field to make room for Buster Posey in the lineup. They also have Pat Burrell contributing to the tune of a .341/.404/.634 line in 41 at-bats, and it’s doubtful he’d be with the team right now if DeRosa were healthy.
Andres Torres is another player who has picked up at-bats in DeRosa’s place, and all he’s hit .285/.389/.460 while playing exceptional defense throughout the outfield.
Now if only Aaron Rowand would undergo wrist surgery, too, the Giants might just be on to something.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)