Jun 22, 2010, 7:05 PM EST
Mark DeRosa is slated for season-ending surgery on his troublesome left wrist, according to John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle.
DeRosa, in the first year of a two-year, $12 million contract, hit just .194/.279/.258 with one homer in 93 at-bats before going on the DL on May 9. The Giants signed him to play left field after he hit .250/.319/.433 with 23 homers for the Indians and Cardinals in 2009.
While DeRosa wanted to avoid surgery and again try to play through his injury, the Giants appear far better off without him, or at least without the DeRosa who would have been playing at 80 percent at best. The team is currently using Aubrey Huff frequently in left field to make room for Buster Posey in the lineup. They also have Pat Burrell contributing to the tune of a .341/.404/.634 line in 41 at-bats, and it’s doubtful he’d be with the team right now if DeRosa were healthy.
Andres Torres is another player who has picked up at-bats in DeRosa’s place, and all he’s hit .285/.389/.460 while playing exceptional defense throughout the outfield.
Now if only Aaron Rowand would undergo wrist surgery, too, the Giants might just be on to something.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)