Jun 22, 2010, 7:05 PM EDT
Mark DeRosa is slated for season-ending surgery on his troublesome left wrist, according to John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle.
DeRosa, in the first year of a two-year, $12 million contract, hit just .194/.279/.258 with one homer in 93 at-bats before going on the DL on May 9. The Giants signed him to play left field after he hit .250/.319/.433 with 23 homers for the Indians and Cardinals in 2009.
While DeRosa wanted to avoid surgery and again try to play through his injury, the Giants appear far better off without him, or at least without the DeRosa who would have been playing at 80 percent at best. The team is currently using Aubrey Huff frequently in left field to make room for Buster Posey in the lineup. They also have Pat Burrell contributing to the tune of a .341/.404/.634 line in 41 at-bats, and it’s doubtful he’d be with the team right now if DeRosa were healthy.
Andres Torres is another player who has picked up at-bats in DeRosa’s place, and all he’s hit .285/.389/.460 while playing exceptional defense throughout the outfield.
Now if only Aaron Rowand would undergo wrist surgery, too, the Giants might just be on to something.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 34
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 9
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 60
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)