Jun 22, 2010, 7:05 PM EST
Mark DeRosa is slated for season-ending surgery on his troublesome left wrist, according to John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle.
DeRosa, in the first year of a two-year, $12 million contract, hit just .194/.279/.258 with one homer in 93 at-bats before going on the DL on May 9. The Giants signed him to play left field after he hit .250/.319/.433 with 23 homers for the Indians and Cardinals in 2009.
While DeRosa wanted to avoid surgery and again try to play through his injury, the Giants appear far better off without him, or at least without the DeRosa who would have been playing at 80 percent at best. The team is currently using Aubrey Huff frequently in left field to make room for Buster Posey in the lineup. They also have Pat Burrell contributing to the tune of a .341/.404/.634 line in 41 at-bats, and it’s doubtful he’d be with the team right now if DeRosa were healthy.
Andres Torres is another player who has picked up at-bats in DeRosa’s place, and all he’s hit .285/.389/.460 while playing exceptional defense throughout the outfield.
Now if only Aaron Rowand would undergo wrist surgery, too, the Giants might just be on to something.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)