Jun 22, 2010, 7:05 PM EDT
Mark DeRosa is slated for season-ending surgery on his troublesome left wrist, according to John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle.
DeRosa, in the first year of a two-year, $12 million contract, hit just .194/.279/.258 with one homer in 93 at-bats before going on the DL on May 9. The Giants signed him to play left field after he hit .250/.319/.433 with 23 homers for the Indians and Cardinals in 2009.
While DeRosa wanted to avoid surgery and again try to play through his injury, the Giants appear far better off without him, or at least without the DeRosa who would have been playing at 80 percent at best. The team is currently using Aubrey Huff frequently in left field to make room for Buster Posey in the lineup. They also have Pat Burrell contributing to the tune of a .341/.404/.634 line in 41 at-bats, and it’s doubtful he’d be with the team right now if DeRosa were healthy.
Andres Torres is another player who has picked up at-bats in DeRosa’s place, and all he’s hit .285/.389/.460 while playing exceptional defense throughout the outfield.
Now if only Aaron Rowand would undergo wrist surgery, too, the Giants might just be on to something.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (188)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)