Jun 22, 2010, 8:33 PM EDT
Pirates prospect catcher Tony Sanchez was just named to represent the organization in next month’s All-Star Futures Game, but his appearance could be in jeopardy after he was hit in the left cheek by a pitch while playing for High-A Bradenton on Tuesday, according to Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
Kovacevic originally reported that the injury was not considered serious, however he writes in a follow-up tweet that a new scan of the catcher’s left cheek showed two possible fractures. The team has yet to make an official announcement on the extent of his injury.
Sanchez, 22, was selected out of Boston College as the No. 4 overall pick in last year’s First-Year Player Draft. Though he is more highly-regarded for his defense behind the plate, he’s no slouch with the bat, either. He hit .309/.409/.539 in his first taste of pro ball last season and entered play on Tuesday with a .314/.414/.454 triple-slash to go along with four home runs and 35 RBI over his first 207 at-bats with High-A Bradenton this season.
Sanchez was ranked as the organization’s No. 3 prospect by Baseball America over the winter.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)