Jun 22, 2010, 8:33 PM EDT
Pirates prospect catcher Tony Sanchez was just named to represent the organization in next month’s All-Star Futures Game, but his appearance could be in jeopardy after he was hit in the left cheek by a pitch while playing for High-A Bradenton on Tuesday, according to Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
Kovacevic originally reported that the injury was not considered serious, however he writes in a follow-up tweet that a new scan of the catcher’s left cheek showed two possible fractures. The team has yet to make an official announcement on the extent of his injury.
Sanchez, 22, was selected out of Boston College as the No. 4 overall pick in last year’s First-Year Player Draft. Though he is more highly-regarded for his defense behind the plate, he’s no slouch with the bat, either. He hit .309/.409/.539 in his first taste of pro ball last season and entered play on Tuesday with a .314/.414/.454 triple-slash to go along with four home runs and 35 RBI over his first 207 at-bats with High-A Bradenton this season.
Sanchez was ranked as the organization’s No. 3 prospect by Baseball America over the winter.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)