Jun 22, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
When you select someone in the Rule 5 draft, you have to keep him on your active roster or else his old team gets him back. Well, there’s one exception: you can keep a Rule 5 guy if he goes on the DL. And of course, teams would never, ever, ever put an ineffective yet perfectly healthy Rule 5 guy on the DL simply so they wouldn’t have to give them up, right? Perish the thought.
Which is why I’m sure there’s a perfectly good and legal explanation for why the Dodgers’ Rule 5 pick Carlos Monasterios — who was just placed on the DL with a blister and a split fingernail — is saying what he’s saying to the L.A. Times’ Dylan Hernandez:
How’s the blister?
“It doesn’t affect me,” Monasterios said.
What about the nail?
“There’s nothing wrong with the nail,” he said.
Oh dear, this is worse than I thought. Clearly the real reason the poor man is on the DL isn’t because of his finger or because the Dodgers are totally gaming the Rule 5 system. It’s because he suffers from acute amnesia!
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 109
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 153
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)