Jun 22, 2010, 12:15 PM EST
When you select someone in the Rule 5 draft, you have to keep him on your active roster or else his old team gets him back. Well, there’s one exception: you can keep a Rule 5 guy if he goes on the DL. And of course, teams would never, ever, ever put an ineffective yet perfectly healthy Rule 5 guy on the DL simply so they wouldn’t have to give them up, right? Perish the thought.
Which is why I’m sure there’s a perfectly good and legal explanation for why the Dodgers’ Rule 5 pick Carlos Monasterios — who was just placed on the DL with a blister and a split fingernail — is saying what he’s saying to the L.A. Times’ Dylan Hernandez:
How’s the blister?
“It doesn’t affect me,” Monasterios said.
What about the nail?
“There’s nothing wrong with the nail,” he said.
Oh dear, this is worse than I thought. Clearly the real reason the poor man is on the DL isn’t because of his finger or because the Dodgers are totally gaming the Rule 5 system. It’s because he suffers from acute amnesia!
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)