Jun 22, 2010, 8:20 AM EDT
I understand the impulse — Oh noes! We only scored one run in three games! Halp! Get us some offense! — but Gary Matthews Jr. is no more the solution to that problem than high winds and tinder are to a brush fire. He’s not the solution to any of the Reds’ problems, really. That is unless “the son of a friend of Dusty Baker got released a couple of weeks ago and needs a job” is one of the Reds’ problems.
The kicker here is that the deal, which was initially reported as done, is not quite done yet, and will likely take a couple of days. I’m going to assume the time is needed to accommodate a series of complex demands on Matthews’ part. After all, he is a veteran who knows how to play the game the right way so you can’t rush him or anything.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 2
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 16
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 21
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 9
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 46
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (246)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)