Jun 22, 2010, 8:20 AM EST
I understand the impulse — Oh noes! We only scored one run in three games! Halp! Get us some offense! — but Gary Matthews Jr. is no more the solution to that problem than high winds and tinder are to a brush fire. He’s not the solution to any of the Reds’ problems, really. That is unless “the son of a friend of Dusty Baker got released a couple of weeks ago and needs a job” is one of the Reds’ problems.
The kicker here is that the deal, which was initially reported as done, is not quite done yet, and will likely take a couple of days. I’m going to assume the time is needed to accommodate a series of complex demands on Matthews’ part. After all, he is a veteran who knows how to play the game the right way so you can’t rush him or anything.
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 16
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 18
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)