Jun 23, 2010, 1:47 PM EDT
Ben Sheets has been a disappointment for Oakland, going 2-7 with a 4.95 ERA in 15 starts after signing a one-year, $10 million deal this winter, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that “the A’s do not plan to trade Sheets unless they receive a compelling offer.”
Obviously the definition of “a compelling offer” is up for debate and as Rosenthal notes “the team is not under financial pressure to move” Sheets’ contract, but not cashing him in for whatever value is available would be odd given the A’s situation.
Not only are they 9.5 games back in the AL West at 34-39, the A’s won’t get compensation for letting Sheets walk as a free agent because as Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors calculated he wouldn’t qualify for Type A or Type B status after missing all of last season. In other words, if the A’s aren’t willing to accept a less-than-compelling offer for Sheets he’ll pitch the second half for them as they likely fall out of the playoff picture and then leave for nothing as a free agent.
Rosenthal also reports that the A’s “will need to be motivated to move” Coco Crisp at the trading deadline, but unlike with Sheets they at least hold a $5.75 million option on him for next season and presumably might be interested in bringing him back. Still, to me it would certainly make sense for the A’s to get whatever they can for either player at this point.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)