Jun 23, 2010, 1:47 PM EDT
Ben Sheets has been a disappointment for Oakland, going 2-7 with a 4.95 ERA in 15 starts after signing a one-year, $10 million deal this winter, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that “the A’s do not plan to trade Sheets unless they receive a compelling offer.”
Obviously the definition of “a compelling offer” is up for debate and as Rosenthal notes “the team is not under financial pressure to move” Sheets’ contract, but not cashing him in for whatever value is available would be odd given the A’s situation.
Not only are they 9.5 games back in the AL West at 34-39, the A’s won’t get compensation for letting Sheets walk as a free agent because as Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors calculated he wouldn’t qualify for Type A or Type B status after missing all of last season. In other words, if the A’s aren’t willing to accept a less-than-compelling offer for Sheets he’ll pitch the second half for them as they likely fall out of the playoff picture and then leave for nothing as a free agent.
Rosenthal also reports that the A’s “will need to be motivated to move” Coco Crisp at the trading deadline, but unlike with Sheets they at least hold a $5.75 million option on him for next season and presumably might be interested in bringing him back. Still, to me it would certainly make sense for the A’s to get whatever they can for either player at this point.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 5
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 81
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 17
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 27
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 31
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 85
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (99)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)