Jun 23, 2010, 1:47 PM EST
Ben Sheets has been a disappointment for Oakland, going 2-7 with a 4.95 ERA in 15 starts after signing a one-year, $10 million deal this winter, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that “the A’s do not plan to trade Sheets unless they receive a compelling offer.”
Obviously the definition of “a compelling offer” is up for debate and as Rosenthal notes “the team is not under financial pressure to move” Sheets’ contract, but not cashing him in for whatever value is available would be odd given the A’s situation.
Not only are they 9.5 games back in the AL West at 34-39, the A’s won’t get compensation for letting Sheets walk as a free agent because as Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors calculated he wouldn’t qualify for Type A or Type B status after missing all of last season. In other words, if the A’s aren’t willing to accept a less-than-compelling offer for Sheets he’ll pitch the second half for them as they likely fall out of the playoff picture and then leave for nothing as a free agent.
Rosenthal also reports that the A’s “will need to be motivated to move” Coco Crisp at the trading deadline, but unlike with Sheets they at least hold a $5.75 million option on him for next season and presumably might be interested in bringing him back. Still, to me it would certainly make sense for the A’s to get whatever they can for either player at this point.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)