Jun 23, 2010, 1:47 PM EDT
Ben Sheets has been a disappointment for Oakland, going 2-7 with a 4.95 ERA in 15 starts after signing a one-year, $10 million deal this winter, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that “the A’s do not plan to trade Sheets unless they receive a compelling offer.”
Obviously the definition of “a compelling offer” is up for debate and as Rosenthal notes “the team is not under financial pressure to move” Sheets’ contract, but not cashing him in for whatever value is available would be odd given the A’s situation.
Not only are they 9.5 games back in the AL West at 34-39, the A’s won’t get compensation for letting Sheets walk as a free agent because as Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors calculated he wouldn’t qualify for Type A or Type B status after missing all of last season. In other words, if the A’s aren’t willing to accept a less-than-compelling offer for Sheets he’ll pitch the second half for them as they likely fall out of the playoff picture and then leave for nothing as a free agent.
Rosenthal also reports that the A’s “will need to be motivated to move” Coco Crisp at the trading deadline, but unlike with Sheets they at least hold a $5.75 million option on him for next season and presumably might be interested in bringing him back. Still, to me it would certainly make sense for the A’s to get whatever they can for either player at this point.
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 2
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 21
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 60
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 84
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)