Jun 23, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
It’s a tough blow for a 27-year-old who probably isn’t in line for many chances to establish himself in the big leagues.
Tommy Manzella, who took over as the Astros’ shortstop when Miguel Tejada was allowed to leave over the winter, will miss six weeks after being diagnosed with a fractured left index finger. The team called up Oswaldo Navarro to replace him.
Manzella’s calling card is his glove, but he did improve to .289/.339/.417 in 580 at-bats in Triple-A last year, giving the Astros some hope that he wouldn’t be a complete offensive zero this season.
Unfortunately, he’s regressed substantially. Manzella was hitting just .212/.259/.254 in 189 at-bats. Not only wasn’t he showing any power, but he wasn’t even making contact, having struck out 57 times.
The Astros will use Navarro and Geoff Blum at shortstop for now.
Navarro debuted in the majors with the Mariners as a 21-year-old in 2006, but he hadn’t been back since until appearing in three games with Houston last month. He was hitting .298/.400/.466 while splitting time between short and second for Triple-A Round Rock, so he’s worthy of the opportunity. If he hits, then Manzella might not have a job awaiting him when he returns.
Blum, of course, offers oodles of veteran presence to go along with a 555 OPS in 115 at-bats this season and a third baseman’s range. With any luck, he’ll remain on the bench while Navarro is given a chance to seize the job.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 77
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 61
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)