Jun 23, 2010, 3:12 PM EDT
Coincidence? I think not!
“I am honored and flattered that the Orioles reached out with this
potential opportunity, but at this time in my career, I feel I should
direct my energies in another direction,” Valentine said.
Of course there’s now an opening in another direction: southward, in Florida, where — Valentine’s coyness about it notwithstanding — it was widely reported he was offered a job last winter. Jeff Loria is a New York guy, you see, and probably wants to make a big splash with another big New York guy, so his desire to have Valentine skipper the Marlins is understandable.
I’ve seen some people say that maybe Valentine — a man who has never been accused of lacking in self-confidence — might have some issues with a boss like Jeff Loria. My response to that: he has dealt with way, way worse.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (125)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)