Jun 23, 2010, 3:12 PM EDT
Coincidence? I think not!
“I am honored and flattered that the Orioles reached out with this
potential opportunity, but at this time in my career, I feel I should
direct my energies in another direction,” Valentine said.
Of course there’s now an opening in another direction: southward, in Florida, where — Valentine’s coyness about it notwithstanding — it was widely reported he was offered a job last winter. Jeff Loria is a New York guy, you see, and probably wants to make a big splash with another big New York guy, so his desire to have Valentine skipper the Marlins is understandable.
I’ve seen some people say that maybe Valentine — a man who has never been accused of lacking in self-confidence — might have some issues with a boss like Jeff Loria. My response to that: he has dealt with way, way worse.
- Carlos Carrasco loses no-hitter with one out to go vs. Rays 4
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 7
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 30
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)