Jun 23, 2010, 3:48 PM EST
After making his first two rehab starts in the low minors, Edinson Volquez moved up to Triple-A this afternoon for the first time since undergoing Tommy John elbow surgery in August and allowed one run in five innings.
Volquez threw 49 of 80 pitches for strikes, giving up three hits while striking out one and walking zero. He previously tossed eight scoreless innings with a 7/0 K/BB ratio at Single-A, so the early post-surgery returns are very promising for the 26-year-old right-hander.
Because he was recovering from the surgery anyway and not yet ready to begin pitching again Volquez was able to serve his 50-game suspension for testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance without any real consequence. His first rehab outing came about two weeks after the suspension ended.
He’s expected to make at least two more rehab starts before potentially rejoining the Reds right around the All-Star break and for now the plan is for him to reclaim a spot in the rotation. Volquez was an All-Star in 2008, going 17-6 with a 3.22 ERA and 206 strikeouts in 196 innings, but was shut down after just nine starts last season and hasn’t faced big-league hitters since June 1, 2009.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)