Jun 23, 2010, 3:48 PM EST
After making his first two rehab starts in the low minors, Edinson Volquez moved up to Triple-A this afternoon for the first time since undergoing Tommy John elbow surgery in August and allowed one run in five innings.
Volquez threw 49 of 80 pitches for strikes, giving up three hits while striking out one and walking zero. He previously tossed eight scoreless innings with a 7/0 K/BB ratio at Single-A, so the early post-surgery returns are very promising for the 26-year-old right-hander.
Because he was recovering from the surgery anyway and not yet ready to begin pitching again Volquez was able to serve his 50-game suspension for testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance without any real consequence. His first rehab outing came about two weeks after the suspension ended.
He’s expected to make at least two more rehab starts before potentially rejoining the Reds right around the All-Star break and for now the plan is for him to reclaim a spot in the rotation. Volquez was an All-Star in 2008, going 17-6 with a 3.22 ERA and 206 strikeouts in 196 innings, but was shut down after just nine starts last season and hasn’t faced big-league hitters since June 1, 2009.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)