Jun 23, 2010, 3:48 PM EDT
After making his first two rehab starts in the low minors, Edinson Volquez moved up to Triple-A this afternoon for the first time since undergoing Tommy John elbow surgery in August and allowed one run in five innings.
Volquez threw 49 of 80 pitches for strikes, giving up three hits while striking out one and walking zero. He previously tossed eight scoreless innings with a 7/0 K/BB ratio at Single-A, so the early post-surgery returns are very promising for the 26-year-old right-hander.
Because he was recovering from the surgery anyway and not yet ready to begin pitching again Volquez was able to serve his 50-game suspension for testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance without any real consequence. His first rehab outing came about two weeks after the suspension ended.
He’s expected to make at least two more rehab starts before potentially rejoining the Reds right around the All-Star break and for now the plan is for him to reclaim a spot in the rotation. Volquez was an All-Star in 2008, going 17-6 with a 3.22 ERA and 206 strikeouts in 196 innings, but was shut down after just nine starts last season and hasn’t faced big-league hitters since June 1, 2009.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)