Jun 23, 2010, 10:28 AM EDT
The first thing I thought when I read that the Marlins have fired Fredi Gonzalez is that he has to be the front runner to become the Braves’ manager after Bobby Cox retires at the end of the year.
Gonzalez was the Braves’ third base coach before taking the Florida job. Last winter, when it seemed like the Marlins were jerking Gonzalez around, Bobby Cox came out in his defense, saying that his job being in jeopardy was “the biggest surprise I’ve had all season,” and praising him as being
“knowledgeable, a great communicator, disciplines well . . .”
It seemed clear to me, anyway, that he was being groomed by Cox back in the day, and though Cox has denied that he’ll take any part in naming his replacement, you have to think that his recommendations will carry an awful lot of weight for a team that loves continuity in such matters.
But even if the Braves don’t hire him, you have to think someone will. Like Joe Girardi before him, any many who Jeff Loria sees fit to fire probably has a lot to recommend about him.
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 21
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 17
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 26
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 23
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (103)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)