Jun 23, 2010, 10:28 AM EST
The first thing I thought when I read that the Marlins have fired Fredi Gonzalez is that he has to be the front runner to become the Braves’ manager after Bobby Cox retires at the end of the year.
Gonzalez was the Braves’ third base coach before taking the Florida job. Last winter, when it seemed like the Marlins were jerking Gonzalez around, Bobby Cox came out in his defense, saying that his job being in jeopardy was “the biggest surprise I’ve had all season,” and praising him as being
“knowledgeable, a great communicator, disciplines well . . .”
It seemed clear to me, anyway, that he was being groomed by Cox back in the day, and though Cox has denied that he’ll take any part in naming his replacement, you have to think that his recommendations will carry an awful lot of weight for a team that loves continuity in such matters.
But even if the Braves don’t hire him, you have to think someone will. Like Joe Girardi before him, any many who Jeff Loria sees fit to fire probably has a lot to recommend about him.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)