Jun 23, 2010, 9:05 AM EDT
Because of (a) a rain delay; and (b) the fact that the Tigers couldn’t get the Mets out last night, Jon Niese ended up going an hour and a half between his last pitch of the third inning and his first pitch in the fourth. The delay was consequential: The Tigers couldn’t touch Niese for the first three innings last night, but after the delay he gave up six runs on seven hits.
I’m assuming the reason Jerry Manuel sent Niese out was because he was staked to a 10-0 lead and, with a couple innings more, he would have gotten the easy win. In fact he ended up with a no-decision, unable to make it through five. Here’s Manuel on what happened:
“I thought what hurt him was trying to be careful with the lead knowing
he only had to go a couple more innings. He was throwing his
pitches for strikes but at the end he was just trying to get by. I
thought it was a great learning experience for him.”
Sure, being careful was what hurt him. It had nothing to do with going cold in the long delay and coming back with zero life in his arm, all because the manager thought it was important for him to get a little W on the back of his baseball card.
Apropos of nothing, I was reading a pretty neat article in the New York Times yesterday about something called the Dunning-Kruger Effect, which is a condition in which an incompetent person is unaware of his own incompetence. It’s not clear from the article if becoming aware that you are unaware of your own incompetence solves the problem, but it may be worth sliding the article under Jerry Manuel’s door all the same.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)