Jun 23, 2010, 8:25 PM EST
TMZ.com ran a story this afternoon detailing an October 2009 accusation of sexual battery against Mets ace Johan Santana. He addressed the report before Thursday’s game against the Tigers, reading a pre-written statement in the Citi Field clubhouse while surrounded by several media types. MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo was in attendance. As you can probably guess, Santana didn’t say much.
“I’m aware of the situation. What I can tell you is that
police have investigated these claims last year, and I was never
charged with anything, and the case is closed. Unfortunately at this
time, that’s all I can say. And I have no further comments.”
The Mets also put out a release of their own:
“We’re aware of
the situation. It’s a personal matter.”
And that’s that. As Craig said earlier, we don’t have enough facts at the moment to make any kind of judgments about the incident. And we may never have enough facts.
Santana, 31, is 5-4 this season with a 3.31 ERA, a 1.22 WHIP and 62 strikeouts in 98 innings for the Mets, who are 1.5 games back of the Braves in the NL East. We do know that.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)