Jun 23, 2010, 9:46 AM EST
What is it with mediocre managers putting individual player stats above all else these days? First we had Jerry Manuel killing Jon Niese’s arm in order to try and get him a win, now we have Ken Macha saying
yesterday that he may slide Trevor Hoffman back into the closer’s role. Why? “I’d certainly like Trevor to reach his goal of getting 600 . . . We’d like to get that done for him.” Mercy.
OK, maybe that’s not 100% of the reason. Macha notes that Hoffman has had several good outings in a row now, pitching mostly in the seventh and eighth innings. Which he has. But at the same time John Axford has struck out 21 batters in 18 innings and is perfect in save opportunities since taking over the role, including a two-inning save last night.
Rather than give your Established Closer his milestone, maybe you stick what’s working? Especially given that (a) so much isn’t working for the Brewers these days; and (b) Trevor Hoffman closing over the first couple months of the season made grown men cry.
Put more simply, the back end of the Brewers’ bullpen is one thing about the team that ain’t broke at the moment, Ken Macha, so why are you even thinking about fixing it?
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 41
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)