Jun 23, 2010, 12:46 PM EDT
Matt Holliday batted .289 with six homers and an .809 OPS through 61 games as the Cardinals’ cleanup (and occasional No. 3) hitter. For him that apparently qualifies as enough of a slump that manager Tony La Russa moved him to the second spot in the lineup last week.
Since then Holliday has been on fire, going 13-for-28 (.464) with five homers and a 1.571 OPS in seven games. Holliday has raised his OPS by nearly 100 points in one week, which is remarkable given that he was doing just fine to begin with.
Overall he’s hitting .308 with a .379 on-base percentage and .512 slugging percentage, which is basically the same as the .313/.394/.515 line he produced last year in his first season not calling Coors Field home.
In other words, despite some gnashing of teeth over Holliday’s so-called slump and struggles with runners in scoring position, halfway through the first season of a seven-year, $120 million contract the Cardinals have gotten what they paid for. And he’s probably not long for the No. 2 spot.
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 10
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 124
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 31
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)