Jun 23, 2010, 12:46 PM EDT
Matt Holliday batted .289 with six homers and an .809 OPS through 61 games as the Cardinals’ cleanup (and occasional No. 3) hitter. For him that apparently qualifies as enough of a slump that manager Tony La Russa moved him to the second spot in the lineup last week.
Since then Holliday has been on fire, going 13-for-28 (.464) with five homers and a 1.571 OPS in seven games. Holliday has raised his OPS by nearly 100 points in one week, which is remarkable given that he was doing just fine to begin with.
Overall he’s hitting .308 with a .379 on-base percentage and .512 slugging percentage, which is basically the same as the .313/.394/.515 line he produced last year in his first season not calling Coors Field home.
In other words, despite some gnashing of teeth over Holliday’s so-called slump and struggles with runners in scoring position, halfway through the first season of a seven-year, $120 million contract the Cardinals have gotten what they paid for. And he’s probably not long for the No. 2 spot.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 34
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 19
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)