Jun 23, 2010, 2:48 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Brittany Ghiroli speculates that the Orioles could designate Garrett Atkins for assignment Saturday when they need a roster spot to call up scheduled starter Brad Bergesen.
This offseason Atkins signed a one-year, $4.5 million deal with an $8.5 million team option or $500,000 buyout for 2011, which struck me as a bad investment for the Orioles given his rapidly declining numbers and particularly questionable production away from hitter-friendly Coors Field.
Sure enough Atkins has hit just .219 with one homer and a .574 OPS in 43 games, with his yearly OPS since a career-year in 2006 now looking like this: .965, .853, .780, .650, .574. Atkins also hit just .233 with a .302 on-base percentage and .394 slugging percentage away from Coors Field combined during the previous three seasons, so the move was doomed from the start.
Acquired from the A’s yesterday, Jake Fox is one-tenth as expensive with vastly more defensive versatility and likely more offensive upside at this point. Atkins was a bad signing and now he’s just a sunk cost.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 0
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 14
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 50
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)