Jun 23, 2010, 6:30 PM EST
Still dealing with a sore elbow, Zach Duke was expected to be placed on the 15-day disabled list by the Pirates on Wednesday.
Duke last pitched a week ago, when he allowed five runs in 5 2/3 innings in a loss to the White Sox. He has lost four straight starts, leaving him 3-8 with a 5.49 ERA for the season.
While he was one of two Pirates’ All-Stars a year ago, Duke has been struggling for about 11 months now. Since the 2009 break, he’s 6-16 with a 5.32 ERA in 28 starts. He’s allowed 222 hits in 167 1/3 innings.
The hope is that Duke will miss just one more start, as the Pirates believe there’s nothing structurally wrong with his elbow. The team could turn to Dana Eveland or call up Daniel McCutchen to start in his place Saturday.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)