Jun 23, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
Still dealing with a sore elbow, Zach Duke was expected to be placed on the 15-day disabled list by the Pirates on Wednesday.
Duke last pitched a week ago, when he allowed five runs in 5 2/3 innings in a loss to the White Sox. He has lost four straight starts, leaving him 3-8 with a 5.49 ERA for the season.
While he was one of two Pirates’ All-Stars a year ago, Duke has been struggling for about 11 months now. Since the 2009 break, he’s 6-16 with a 5.32 ERA in 28 starts. He’s allowed 222 hits in 167 1/3 innings.
The hope is that Duke will miss just one more start, as the Pirates believe there’s nothing structurally wrong with his elbow. The team could turn to Dana Eveland or call up Daniel McCutchen to start in his place Saturday.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 4
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 3
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20