Jun 23, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
Still dealing with a sore elbow, Zach Duke was expected to be placed on the 15-day disabled list by the Pirates on Wednesday.
Duke last pitched a week ago, when he allowed five runs in 5 2/3 innings in a loss to the White Sox. He has lost four straight starts, leaving him 3-8 with a 5.49 ERA for the season.
While he was one of two Pirates’ All-Stars a year ago, Duke has been struggling for about 11 months now. Since the 2009 break, he’s 6-16 with a 5.32 ERA in 28 starts. He’s allowed 222 hits in 167 1/3 innings.
The hope is that Duke will miss just one more start, as the Pirates believe there’s nothing structurally wrong with his elbow. The team could turn to Dana Eveland or call up Daniel McCutchen to start in his place Saturday.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)