Jun 23, 2010, 11:06 AM EDT
“Everyone knows how I feel about winning. That’s
the reason we’re making this change.”
— Jeff Loria on his dismissal of manager Fredi Gonzalez.
Yes, Jeff, we all know exactly how you feel about winning. Based on your experience with the Marlins, you obviously feel that it’s totally optional and is probably worth doing as long as it doesn’t interfere with you turning a tidy profit.
Based on your experience with the Expos, you also feel that it’s an inconvenience if it stands in the way of you getting bought out by the other baseball owners and rewarded with another franchise.
Based on what appear to be totally unrealistic expectations of how well the Marlins could do this year, we also know that you feel winning is just something that happens because you kinda sorta want it to, not because you work hard and make investments to do it.
Of course, based on your tenure in Florida and the fact that the Miami-Dade government is giving you a cash cow of a new stadium despite the fact that your commitment to winning is wholly suspect, I suppose you’re more right about these things than the rest of us are.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 3
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 17
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (89)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)