Jun 23, 2010, 11:06 AM EST
“Everyone knows how I feel about winning. That’s
the reason we’re making this change.”
– Jeff Loria on his dismissal of manager Fredi Gonzalez.
Yes, Jeff, we all know exactly how you feel about winning. Based on your experience with the Marlins, you obviously feel that it’s totally optional and is probably worth doing as long as it doesn’t interfere with you turning a tidy profit.
Based on your experience with the Expos, you also feel that it’s an inconvenience if it stands in the way of you getting bought out by the other baseball owners and rewarded with another franchise.
Based on what appear to be totally unrealistic expectations of how well the Marlins could do this year, we also know that you feel winning is just something that happens because you kinda sorta want it to, not because you work hard and make investments to do it.
Of course, based on your tenure in Florida and the fact that the Miami-Dade government is giving you a cash cow of a new stadium despite the fact that your commitment to winning is wholly suspect, I suppose you’re more right about these things than the rest of us are.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 322
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (328)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)