Jun 23, 2010, 11:06 AM EST
“Everyone knows how I feel about winning. That’s
the reason we’re making this change.”
– Jeff Loria on his dismissal of manager Fredi Gonzalez.
Yes, Jeff, we all know exactly how you feel about winning. Based on your experience with the Marlins, you obviously feel that it’s totally optional and is probably worth doing as long as it doesn’t interfere with you turning a tidy profit.
Based on your experience with the Expos, you also feel that it’s an inconvenience if it stands in the way of you getting bought out by the other baseball owners and rewarded with another franchise.
Based on what appear to be totally unrealistic expectations of how well the Marlins could do this year, we also know that you feel winning is just something that happens because you kinda sorta want it to, not because you work hard and make investments to do it.
Of course, based on your tenure in Florida and the fact that the Miami-Dade government is giving you a cash cow of a new stadium despite the fact that your commitment to winning is wholly suspect, I suppose you’re more right about these things than the rest of us are.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 43
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 36
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)