Jun 23, 2010, 11:06 AM EDT
“Everyone knows how I feel about winning. That’s
the reason we’re making this change.”
— Jeff Loria on his dismissal of manager Fredi Gonzalez.
Yes, Jeff, we all know exactly how you feel about winning. Based on your experience with the Marlins, you obviously feel that it’s totally optional and is probably worth doing as long as it doesn’t interfere with you turning a tidy profit.
Based on your experience with the Expos, you also feel that it’s an inconvenience if it stands in the way of you getting bought out by the other baseball owners and rewarded with another franchise.
Based on what appear to be totally unrealistic expectations of how well the Marlins could do this year, we also know that you feel winning is just something that happens because you kinda sorta want it to, not because you work hard and make investments to do it.
Of course, based on your tenure in Florida and the fact that the Miami-Dade government is giving you a cash cow of a new stadium despite the fact that your commitment to winning is wholly suspect, I suppose you’re more right about these things than the rest of us are.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 17
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)