Jun 23, 2010, 11:06 AM EDT
“Everyone knows how I feel about winning. That’s
the reason we’re making this change.”
– Jeff Loria on his dismissal of manager Fredi Gonzalez.
Yes, Jeff, we all know exactly how you feel about winning. Based on your experience with the Marlins, you obviously feel that it’s totally optional and is probably worth doing as long as it doesn’t interfere with you turning a tidy profit.
Based on your experience with the Expos, you also feel that it’s an inconvenience if it stands in the way of you getting bought out by the other baseball owners and rewarded with another franchise.
Based on what appear to be totally unrealistic expectations of how well the Marlins could do this year, we also know that you feel winning is just something that happens because you kinda sorta want it to, not because you work hard and make investments to do it.
Of course, based on your tenure in Florida and the fact that the Miami-Dade government is giving you a cash cow of a new stadium despite the fact that your commitment to winning is wholly suspect, I suppose you’re more right about these things than the rest of us are.
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 3
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 42
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 33
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 4
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)