Jun 23, 2010, 10:12 AM EDT
Whoa — this came out of the blue. Our own Matthew
Pouliot said just a few weeks ago that Marlins’ manager Fredi Gonzalez should get canned, but I didn’t think it would actually happen. Now Joe Capozzi is reporting that the Florida Marlins have fired Gonzalez and two coaches. Edwin Rodriguez has been named interim manager.
The Marlins are currently 34-36. They’ve hit a bad stretch in the past couple of weeks, but they just took 2 of 3 from the Rays. Most projection systems had them as a sub-.500 team this season, so they’re actually overperforming.
Of course, Jeff Loria seemed none too eager to keep Gonzalez around after last season anyway, flirting with Bobby Valentine and everything. And of course, there was Gonzalez’s little tiff with Hanley Ramirez recently which, however on the side of angels Gonzalez happened to be, had to have harmed his relationship with his best player. A player that the owner buys jewelry for, for cryin’ out loud.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)