Jun 23, 2010, 10:12 AM EDT
Whoa — this came out of the blue. Our own Matthew
Pouliot said just a few weeks ago that Marlins’ manager Fredi Gonzalez should get canned, but I didn’t think it would actually happen. Now Joe Capozzi is reporting that the Florida Marlins have fired Gonzalez and two coaches. Edwin Rodriguez has been named interim manager.
The Marlins are currently 34-36. They’ve hit a bad stretch in the past couple of weeks, but they just took 2 of 3 from the Rays. Most projection systems had them as a sub-.500 team this season, so they’re actually overperforming.
Of course, Jeff Loria seemed none too eager to keep Gonzalez around after last season anyway, flirting with Bobby Valentine and everything. And of course, there was Gonzalez’s little tiff with Hanley Ramirez recently which, however on the side of angels Gonzalez happened to be, had to have harmed his relationship with his best player. A player that the owner buys jewelry for, for cryin’ out loud.
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 21
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 38
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 21
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 32
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)