Jun 23, 2010, 10:12 AM EST
Whoa — this came out of the blue. Our own Matthew
Pouliot said just a few weeks ago that Marlins’ manager Fredi Gonzalez should get canned, but I didn’t think it would actually happen. Now Joe Capozzi is reporting that the Florida Marlins have fired Gonzalez and two coaches. Edwin Rodriguez has been named interim manager.
The Marlins are currently 34-36. They’ve hit a bad stretch in the past couple of weeks, but they just took 2 of 3 from the Rays. Most projection systems had them as a sub-.500 team this season, so they’re actually overperforming.
Of course, Jeff Loria seemed none too eager to keep Gonzalez around after last season anyway, flirting with Bobby Valentine and everything. And of course, there was Gonzalez’s little tiff with Hanley Ramirez recently which, however on the side of angels Gonzalez happened to be, had to have harmed his relationship with his best player. A player that the owner buys jewelry for, for cryin’ out loud.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)