Jun 23, 2010, 2:15 PM EST
The Royals are up today for the surprisingly un-nicknamed Stephen Strasburg’s latest start. It’s a 4:30 start, which is kind of weird, but whatever. The thing I’ve been looking forward to the most in Stephen Strasburg’s games has not been his actual performance (hint: he’s going to throw hard) but the article that shows up the morning of his performance in which the opposing team talks about what it’s going to be like to face him.
We have the Royals’ version of that today in the Kansas City Star. To be honest I was disappointed. I kind of liked when Delwyn Young talked smack about him before his debut. All we get today is media-relations-office-approved “he’s good, but hopefully we can get a few good swings on him” stuff. Boring. Guess I’ll just have to watch the game.
One thought I had when I saw the matchup was that Strasburg may strike out a gajillion of those fundamentally un-sound Kansas City Royals. Sadly, I am once again disappointed inasmuch as it turns out that the Royals have only struck out a combined 386 times this year. Only one team — the White Sox — have struck out fewer times than the Royals have, so maybe they’ll be tougher.
Oh wait . . . Strasburg struck out ten White Sox in seven innings the last time out, didn’t he?
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)