Jun 23, 2010, 2:15 PM EST
The Royals are up today for the surprisingly un-nicknamed Stephen Strasburg’s latest start. It’s a 4:30 start, which is kind of weird, but whatever. The thing I’ve been looking forward to the most in Stephen Strasburg’s games has not been his actual performance (hint: he’s going to throw hard) but the article that shows up the morning of his performance in which the opposing team talks about what it’s going to be like to face him.
We have the Royals’ version of that today in the Kansas City Star. To be honest I was disappointed. I kind of liked when Delwyn Young talked smack about him before his debut. All we get today is media-relations-office-approved “he’s good, but hopefully we can get a few good swings on him” stuff. Boring. Guess I’ll just have to watch the game.
One thought I had when I saw the matchup was that Strasburg may strike out a gajillion of those fundamentally un-sound Kansas City Royals. Sadly, I am once again disappointed inasmuch as it turns out that the Royals have only struck out a combined 386 times this year. Only one team — the White Sox — have struck out fewer times than the Royals have, so maybe they’ll be tougher.
Oh wait . . . Strasburg struck out ten White Sox in seven innings the last time out, didn’t he?
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (223)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)