Jun 23, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
The Royals are up today for the surprisingly un-nicknamed Stephen Strasburg’s latest start. It’s a 4:30 start, which is kind of weird, but whatever. The thing I’ve been looking forward to the most in Stephen Strasburg’s games has not been his actual performance (hint: he’s going to throw hard) but the article that shows up the morning of his performance in which the opposing team talks about what it’s going to be like to face him.
We have the Royals’ version of that today in the Kansas City Star. To be honest I was disappointed. I kind of liked when Delwyn Young talked smack about him before his debut. All we get today is media-relations-office-approved “he’s good, but hopefully we can get a few good swings on him” stuff. Boring. Guess I’ll just have to watch the game.
One thought I had when I saw the matchup was that Strasburg may strike out a gajillion of those fundamentally un-sound Kansas City Royals. Sadly, I am once again disappointed inasmuch as it turns out that the Royals have only struck out a combined 386 times this year. Only one team — the White Sox — have struck out fewer times than the Royals have, so maybe they’ll be tougher.
Oh wait . . . Strasburg struck out ten White Sox in seven innings the last time out, didn’t he?
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 16
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 15
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 41
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- Royals acquire ace Johnny Cueto from the Reds 71
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)