Jun 23, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
The Royals are up today for the surprisingly un-nicknamed Stephen Strasburg’s latest start. It’s a 4:30 start, which is kind of weird, but whatever. The thing I’ve been looking forward to the most in Stephen Strasburg’s games has not been his actual performance (hint: he’s going to throw hard) but the article that shows up the morning of his performance in which the opposing team talks about what it’s going to be like to face him.
We have the Royals’ version of that today in the Kansas City Star. To be honest I was disappointed. I kind of liked when Delwyn Young talked smack about him before his debut. All we get today is media-relations-office-approved “he’s good, but hopefully we can get a few good swings on him” stuff. Boring. Guess I’ll just have to watch the game.
One thought I had when I saw the matchup was that Strasburg may strike out a gajillion of those fundamentally un-sound Kansas City Royals. Sadly, I am once again disappointed inasmuch as it turns out that the Royals have only struck out a combined 386 times this year. Only one team — the White Sox — have struck out fewer times than the Royals have, so maybe they’ll be tougher.
Oh wait . . . Strasburg struck out ten White Sox in seven innings the last time out, didn’t he?
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 91
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 54
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 138
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 70
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (139)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)