Jun 23, 2010, 10:05 AM EDT
Cool: the Atlanta Braves still use an organist at the ballpark.
Cooler: the Braves’ organist — Matt Kaminski — is a bit of a wiseacre, using mildly taunting little songs when opposing players come to bat.
Yes, it’s a bit juvenile — the Rice-a-Roni theme song for Ben Francisco is a bit on the nose — but it’s harmless. I mean, as long as you’re not using “Billie Jean” for a player who just made the news because of a paternity suit or something, it’s all just fun, right? On second thought, that’s a pretty good idea. I’d totally use that. I think I’m going to go tweet that to him right now.
The only bad thing about this is that the Yankees won’t be playing the Braves this year, because it would be pretty darn awesome to hear Kaminski play “About a Girl” or “All Apologies” when Mark Teixeira comes to the plate.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)