Jun 23, 2010, 12:13 PM EDT
The Mets have spent the last few weeks bending over backwards to get rid of their dead wood arms in Oliver Perez and John Maine, so it’s rather funny that they’d go out and sign a guy who’s been about as effective as Oliver Perez and John Maine this year. That’s what they did, though: they’ve signed Ramon Ortiz to a minor league deal.
Ortiz, who was designated for assignment by the Dodgers last month after
posting a 6.30 ERA, hasn’t been worth a diddly durn for years, and it’s an open question if he was even worth a diddly durn back in the day. Before this year he spent the last two in AAA and in Japan. He was passable for Fresno last season, but he couldn’t really get anyone out playing for the Orix Blue Wave in 2008.
The only real justification I can see for the move is that the Mets are concerned that one of their minor league teams have been exposed to Legionnaires Disease and they need fresh bodies to avoid a string of forfeits.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)