Jun 23, 2010, 10:50 AM EDT
The Pirates haven’t had a great week, public relations-wise. First there was that whole mess with whether or not John Russell was going to be fired or whether he got an extension or whatever. Then they went and fired their racing pierogi for insubordination and caught all kinds of hell for it.
It’s always hard for an organization to admit when it erred, but the Pirates have done that, and have now re-hired the pierogi. Of course the Pirates say that the bad publicity over l’affaire pierogi had nothing to do with it. Rather, it was because “he had not been dismissed in accordance with company procedures.”
In other news, (a) the Pirates have company procedures that govern the employment conditions for guys who dress up in pierogi suits and run around the ballpark; and (b) Pirates employees should now feel a lot more comfortable about ripping their employers in the Internet.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (232)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)