Jun 23, 2010, 2:28 PM EDT
At least temporarily, it seems. John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer quotes GM Walt Jocketty saying “With Volquez
coming on and Bailey not that far away, it’s the best opportunity for
I seem to beat this drum every other day, but I really don’t like this kind of move. Chapman is young, he has electric stuff, he’s always started and he’s green. The only way to turn him into an effective starter is to give him more chances to learn to pace himself, to work on mastering his secondary pitches and to gain experience getting guys out two or three times a game. To turn him into a one-inning guy would do his development a serious disservice.
This is especially true for the Reds who wouldn’t even be using Chapman as a closer or even a setup guy — they have Arthur Rhodes and Francisco Cordero for that. No, he’s be pitching in the seventh inning at best. He could even be used as a lefty specialist which would mess with his development even further.
I know the Reds are in the race right now and that they could use a bullpen arm, but they don’t need to screw up their top prospect just to do it. Call David Weathers or something. He wants to pitch in the Reds’ bullpen.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 23
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 183
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (185)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)