Jun 23, 2010, 2:28 PM EDT
At least temporarily, it seems. John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer quotes GM Walt Jocketty saying “With Volquez
coming on and Bailey not that far away, it’s the best opportunity for
I seem to beat this drum every other day, but I really don’t like this kind of move. Chapman is young, he has electric stuff, he’s always started and he’s green. The only way to turn him into an effective starter is to give him more chances to learn to pace himself, to work on mastering his secondary pitches and to gain experience getting guys out two or three times a game. To turn him into a one-inning guy would do his development a serious disservice.
This is especially true for the Reds who wouldn’t even be using Chapman as a closer or even a setup guy — they have Arthur Rhodes and Francisco Cordero for that. No, he’s be pitching in the seventh inning at best. He could even be used as a lefty specialist which would mess with his development even further.
I know the Reds are in the race right now and that they could use a bullpen arm, but they don’t need to screw up their top prospect just to do it. Call David Weathers or something. He wants to pitch in the Reds’ bullpen.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)