Jun 23, 2010, 2:28 PM EDT
At least temporarily, it seems. John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer quotes GM Walt Jocketty saying “With Volquez
coming on and Bailey not that far away, it’s the best opportunity for
I seem to beat this drum every other day, but I really don’t like this kind of move. Chapman is young, he has electric stuff, he’s always started and he’s green. The only way to turn him into an effective starter is to give him more chances to learn to pace himself, to work on mastering his secondary pitches and to gain experience getting guys out two or three times a game. To turn him into a one-inning guy would do his development a serious disservice.
This is especially true for the Reds who wouldn’t even be using Chapman as a closer or even a setup guy — they have Arthur Rhodes and Francisco Cordero for that. No, he’s be pitching in the seventh inning at best. He could even be used as a lefty specialist which would mess with his development even further.
I know the Reds are in the race right now and that they could use a bullpen arm, but they don’t need to screw up their top prospect just to do it. Call David Weathers or something. He wants to pitch in the Reds’ bullpen.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)