And That Happened: Wednesday's Scores and Highlights

Jun 24, 2010, 5:56 AM EDT

In which I kind of go off the rails with a "Homicide: Life on the Streets" jag when I should have been talking about the Rays-Padres game.

Phillies 7, Indians 6: Walkoff jack for Jimmy Rollins gives the Phillies a
come-from-behind victory.  Gentlemen, you may commence the “the
Phillies’ swoon was all about missing Jimmy Rollins” narrative . . .
now.

Rockies 8, Red Sox 6: We can’t be terribly surprised at ninth inning rallies off the Indians’ pen, but two homers off Johnathan Papelbon in the ninth inning? Oy!  And let’s put it this way: if you score six runs on ten hits off Ubaldo Jimenez you have no business losing that ballgame.

Yankees 6, Diamondbacks 5: Another rule: if you walk seven times in two and a third innings against the other team’s starter, you should score more than two runs off him and thus not be required to rely on a tenth inning home run from Curtis Granderson in order to win the game.

Royals 1, Nationals 0: They could barely touch him and they owe the game’s outcome to their own pitching staff and the Nats’ offensive ineptitude, but the Royals’ batters can say with 100% accuracy that they handed Stephen Strasburg his first major league loss.

Cardinals 1, Blue Jays 0: Damn shame both starters couldn’t have won this one. Chris Carpenter gets the W after flinging eight scoreless innings while allowing only three hits. Rickey Romero was just about as good with eight shutout innings of his own.  A ninth inning RBI single by Matt Holliday — who no longer stinks, by the way — was the difference in the ballgame.

Mets 5, Tigers 0: My displeasure with the Mets’ win is more than outweighed by the fact that it was occasioned by the continuing excellence of R.A. Dickey (8 IP, 4 H, 0 ER). Viva knuckleballers.

Padres 5, Rays 4: The particular schedule I look at to track teams’ long term success lists “W”s in green and “Ls” in red.  For the Rays, as Lt. Al Giradello used to say on “Homicide,” there’s a lot of red up on that board! Well, he used to kind of mumble it, and he wasn’t talking about the Rays, but you know what I’m getting at. Wait, you don’t know, because you didn’t watch the show, which caused NBC to make the producers drop Jon Polito and Ned Beatty from the cast in order to try to make it appeal to a younger demographic, thus killing all that was great about it. Seriously, Michael Michele? Jon Seda? Who the hell ever would have bought them as murder police? Honestly! Uh, where was I?  Oh yeah, the Rays are 8-11 in June.

Marlins 7, Orioles 5: Edwin Rodriguez wins his debut as the Marlins’ manager. I wonder what bogus excuse Loria will use when they fire him in order to replace him with Bobby Valentine or whoever. Maybe “you know how I feel about wins! I really expected to win the rest of our ballgames and you lost one at the end of July!” Or how about “This has nothing to do with anything Hanley Ramirez said. In fact he communicated his displeasure and disrespect for you telepathically, so he never had to utter a single word!” Oh, and that’s 21 of 25 games denoted by little red “Ls” for the Orioles. Since both they and Giradello are from Baltimore, maybe I should have saved my “Homicide” rant for this one. Maybe not: a lot of those Ls are stone cold whodunnits, and no one gets worked up about those. The Rays’ losses are red balls.

Reds 3, Athletics 0: Speaking of red writing, the A’s are 6-16 in June. Speaking of the color red in general, the Reds have righted the ship quite nicely after that nightmare weekend in Seattle. Seven shutout innings for Johnny Cueto and a 3 for 3, 2 RBI night for Jay Bruce.

White Sox 4, Braves 2: The White Sox keep rolling and now the Braves are starting to skid. Two homers for Carlos Quentin.

Mariners 8, Cubs 1: That Cliff Lee fella is pretty good (CG 9 H, 1 ER, 9K, 0 BB). Maybe someone should think about trading for him.

Angels 2, Dodgers 1: This one ended on two base running screw ups: First Matt Kemp was picked off at second for out number two. Then, a couple batters later, Jamey Carroll hit a single that should have scored Reed Johnson easily from second. But Russell Martin was in his own world somewhere, rounded second too far and then got pegged at the bag trying to get back before Johnson could cross the plate. Martin out, no run, game over. I think I already used an “Oy” this morning, but extreme times call for additional “Oys” so Oy!

Rangers 13, Pirates 3: The Rangers refuse to lose — that’s ten straight for them — and the Pirates refuse to even approach the appearance of a major league team. Michael Young was 3 for 4 with a double, a homer and four RBI.

Brewers 5, Twins 3: I guess maybe I shouldn’t have assumed Ken Macha was so foolish as to install Trevor Hoffman as the closer after all. I mean, if he’s not going to use Hoffman to close a game the night after John Axford gets a six out save, he may never do it. Pfun Pfact: Manny Parra had four wild pitches.

Astros 6, Giants 3: Brett Myers has been one of the few bright spots for Houston this year. Last night he gave up three runs — only one earned — in seven innings and even went 2 for 3 with an RBI.

1. YankeesfanLen - Jun 24, 2010 at 7:08 AM

Hearing Jerry Seinfeld’s play-by-play or color commentary or stand up routine using every baseball cliche from the past 100 years was the highlight of my evening. He went so far as to call a routine fly catch a “can of corn”.
    My baseball appreciation went down the tubes with that train wreck of a Yankees game.

2. RickyB - Jun 24, 2010 at 8:23 AM

While the Dodgers absolutely blew that game with baserunning blunders in the ninth, the only reason Kemp was picked off second is because Fuentes got away with a blatant balk. He starts to go to the plate, then picks up his back foot to pivot for the inside move to second before bringing his front leg back. You have to see it to understand that it wasn’t your typical inside move to second for which the casual fan screams “BALK!” Harold Reynolds and Joe Magrane were both in disbelief that Fuentes got away with what he did, as I was.

3. Megary - Jun 24, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Love the shot of the Phils walkoff, but I soooo wanted to see a picture of Paps after the Giambino homerun.

4. Craig Calcaterra - Jun 24, 2010 at 8:35 AM

Sorry. The latest post has Paps after the first homer. I couldn’t find a Papelbon reaction shot to the Giambi blast. Best I could find in the wire feeds was his backed turned, walking towards the dugout. Not a good pic.

5. Megary - Jun 24, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Oh, yes…That’ll do nicely….Thank You very much. :)

6. Old Gator - Jun 24, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Enough with the Loria-bashing, Craig. Scrooge is my bitch. You know the number to call when you want to dial up a hit. And you left your prints all over that keyboard. Isn’t it bad enough that Heyman is waiting for you in every trattoria in Little Italy already?
    In any case, congratulations go out Edwin Encarnacion for drawing the Aureoles as first patsies. Even Ricky Nolasco survived his requisite single-inning meltdown this time, and the Feesh are closing in rapidly on the strange attractor again.
    Some delightfully sententious “confessions” and intentions from the Feesh brain trust, courtesy of MLB.com and the Feesh web site:
    The Marlins’ front office felt a change needed to be made after the club was swept by the Rangers from June 15-17. “We really got concerned that something was missing,” Beinfest said.
    Yeah, like a boolpen and a budget.
    Now that the change has been made, the Marlins are looking to make a serious playoff run. To do that, they must get back over .500 and show consistency.
    Well now I didn’t realize that. Thanks, MLB.com and the Feesh’s spin machine, for opening my eyes to what this team needs to do. Glad to see they’re still “looking to make a serious playoff run.”

7. Jonny5 - Jun 24, 2010 at 9:25 AM

Well if I were Jimmy Rollins and all, and if I were going to get only one hit in the game, I guess i’d pick the walk off home run too. It kinda makes up for him trowing the ball wide to home plate with the Indians go ahead run crossing home plate. All is forgiven Jimmy. I was at the game last night with my 8 year old and I guess it figures that it’d be a long game. By the 8th he was ready to go home, I wasn’t having it though, I told him to stick it out till the ninth since you never know what you’ll miss. He thanked me later for not leaving as he says it “I saw J-ROLLLLLLLLLLLL hit a bomber to win it. That was awesome!!!” BTW ,we had some Indians fans in the stands in front of us who were doing the whole road trip thing, they were very good people and took the obnoxious behavior of a few guys in our section quite well. I shook their hands after the game and wished them well in their travels. So did the guys giving them a hard time. I guess they expected it fully.

8. aleskel - Jun 24, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Jon Seda was actually pretty good on Homicide, if memory serves. Now, Michael Michele, that was unforgivable, but it was all over when Andre Braugher left the show anyway.

9. Chris Fiorentino - Jun 24, 2010 at 11:05 AM

The saddest part of Cliff Lee is that he isn’t backing up Halladay on the Phillies staff right now. Wouldn’t it be a nice break for the Phillies bullpen to have two guys who throw 8-9 innings almost every start and work fast? Wouldn’t it be nice to have Lee instead of garbage like Blanton or Kendrick getting rolled out there every 5th day? No, we NEEDED to have the 3 middlging prospects that Seattle dumped on us for Lee.
    The absolute shameful part…Seattle will get more for Lee now, for half a season, than they gave up to get him. It sickens me to see Ruben skate on this one, but after 2 straight World Series, he earned the right. They better make it this year, though, or there will be hell to pay in Philly…most of Philly was pissed when the Lee deal was made, but we are holding off until the postseason because if we WIN the World Series, then OK. Anything less, with Blanton sucking ass in World Series game 3, and Amaro will be public enemy #1 for the ludicrous and monumentally stupid give-away of Cliff Lee.

10. Andy L - Jun 24, 2010 at 11:19 AM

There were like five years between the departure of Beatty and Polito and the arrival of Seda and Michele, so methinks you’re oversimplifying it. Homicide still kicked ass during the interim, no?

11. Craig Calcaterra - Jun 24, 2010 at 11:22 AM

OK, I’ll grant you that. I actually liked the whole Kellerman-kills-the-drug-dealer arc. I still think the show was at its best, however, in season one and the very, very short season two: kinda ugly people sitting around philosophizing about murder.

12. Will - Jun 24, 2010 at 11:49 AM

I totally agree, Craig. The 1st and 2nd seasons of Homicide were damn near perfect. Even on its last legs, it was a good cop show, but it just wasn’t the same after the network tried to prettify it and make it hip. Had it been on HBO or Showtime, I think people would be talking about H:LOTS in the same breath as The Wire.
    Oh, and according to Ringolsby et al., Ubaldo had the flu. And since, by all accounts, Jimenez is a pretty clean-cut guy, I don’t think it was a euphemism for “drunk.” I’m thrilled the Rockies picked him up for a change. This was the first game all season that they won after being down in the 7th (or later) inning.

13. Will - Jun 24, 2010 at 11:50 AM

14. APBA Guy - Jun 24, 2010 at 12:04 PM

The A’s fan(s) are searching for any Oakland related good news (“Dellums proposes laying off only 53 cops due to budget cuts” does not qualify.) And yesterday we got:
    - Rollins walk-off (played HS ball in Oakland)
    - Giambi walk-off (former A’s great). Bonus points for HR coming off Papelbon
    The real A’s? Shut out. Again. I think one of the ball-boys was DFA’d by Beane because he HAD to make another meaningless move.

15. Utley's hair - Jun 24, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Hey, Craigstrodamus, I seem to recall your Ubaldez jinx from yesterday’s ATH. His ERA balooned to what…1.6? When are they going to drop this slacker?
    Hopefully the Phightins can use JRoll’s jack to relaunch the fireworks. And I swear, Blanton must have some kind of nighttime phobia. How many day starts has he gotten, anyway? What’s the opposite of a vampire?

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto